"Why can't Artie just turn his handicap on and off then?" Brittany questioned looking at Artie. "I was just unlucky I didn't get a switch Britt. But it's fine, don't worry." Artie explained, simply smiling at her concern for him.

"That's unfair." She pouted childishly.
"Life's unfair Brittany. Now shush." Another girl in a Cheerios uniform said. Amelia smiled with her usual warmth at the group.

"Well, it's nice to meet you all." She finally said quietly, as she sat at the piano bench. "Alright guys! Let's practise. Amelia the sheet music is right beside you." Amelia gave Mr Schue a small nod and quickly arranged the papers and put them in the right order. "Ready?"

"One, two, three, four."

It didn't come as a surprise to Amelia when she was greeted by name by the Glee kids in the hallway the next couple of days. Even Quinn had begun to say hallo or give a small wave. Amelia had also eaten lunch in the cafeteria with them a few times.
The sudden attention on her was all very unfamiliar, but she actually quite enjoyed it.

Until that faithful day..

Amelia was sitting with the the more popular kids from Glee club, when in the middle of Santana telling the table of friends some hot tea about coach Sue, Amelia heard three shrill beeps before she noticed everything quieting down until it was all silent.
She could see Santana moving her lips, but no sound left them.

Clumsily Amelia fumbled with her hearing aid quickly gaining the attention of Finn, who was sitting next to her, and Quinn who sat on the opposite side of the table.
Fear bubbled up in Amelia's chest as she saw the little light on her aids blinking red before turning off, she knew they'd been on low battery when she'd left home, but she thought they'd survive the day which was clearly not the case.

"Amelia you alright?" Finn asked trying to get her attention but she didn't react. Quinn softly called his name making him look up at her. "I think her hearing aids are out of power." She said motioning down to the two small devices in Amelia's hand.

Hesitantly he tapped her shoulder. "You okay?" He asked when she looked up startled at him. She nodded shortly, still looking a bit worried. "No power." She said in almost a whisper as she pointed to her hearing aids.

Amelia's deaf voice wasn't perfect, granted that she was always afraid of speaking too loud when she couldn't hear herself, but it was understandable because she had her hearing aids normally and therefore knew how the words should sound and feel when spoken.

Finn grinned at her whisper voice and looked up at Quinn who shook her head smiling at his dorky-ness. "Do you have a charger or something?" She asked trying her best to articulate clearly so Amelia could read her lips. "No."

"Why are you whispering?" Puck asked leaning over the table to join their little conversation. "We're not whispering you idiot. Amelia's hearing aids are out of power and she doesn't have the charger with her. She doesn't know how loud she's speaking." Quinn explained quickly and defensively.

"Oh. Well shit." Amelia looked at him dismayed. "Language." She said loud and clearly, making the others at the table laugh. "–I can still read your lips." That statement made Puck smirk flirtatiously. "You're welcome to feel them too if that'll help."

"Really? You're making a move on a disabled girl?" Santana looked at him incredulously as she smacked him upside the head. "Ow! What was that for?!" Amelia just smiled amused at her friends.
Though she couldn't understand everything they said unless it was directed at her, she could guess her way to most things.