35 | What needed to be done

Start from the beginning

My mother's lips trembled with the effort to speak; her voice cracking but it was gentle.

"It's okay, Eria... It's okay...... I love you so much......"

Then, she stabbed her razor-sharp claws into her chest, right where her heart was.

***

It was a nightmare. Just a nightmare.

I kept telling myself that, hoping that it was true. All of this was just a nightmare.

But it was true. It had happened. There's no denying the truth.

My father was weak, but he was still breathing. There was a huge gash across his chest that gushed blood as the first aiders carried him into the ambulance.

My brother survived too; he was conscious when they carried him into the ambulance. He cried for his mother because he too thought it was a nightmare.

Scarlet Autumna, who visited my house for the birthday party, broke one of her legs and her arm.

My mother, whom I thought she died from the suicidal move, lived. They restrained her limbs, like the villains that would be sent to prison.

I watched numbly as people moved busily in front of me. Neighbours gathered around the commotion, wondering which villain caused this dreadful incident, but they wouldn't have guessed it was my mother.

I moved lifelessly like a doll pulled on strings as the first aiders rushed me to the hospital. I had severe bruises over my body. Bones cracked in my arms. But no physical pain could compare to gaping void in my heart.

Aizawa-sensei, All Might and the principal, Nezu were already in the hospital, waiting for me. But they didn't speak to me; or rather, I didn't register anything they said.

From the moment I saw my mother turning into a bloodthirsty demon, my world had abruptly ended. My mind failed to grasp the impossibility, because my mother wouldn't do all the stuff I had witnessed, all the evidence of my senses must be lying......

Then, as the truth settled in like lead in the pit of my stomach, my senses grew numb. Everything was a blur around me. The only thing that ever registered in my mind was the gentle smile my mother gave me before she stabbed herself.

All Might had sat by my side quietly as my family went through strenuous operations.

"Here, drink something," All Might said gently as he passed me a bottle of water. I took it, but I didn't drink. It seemed to be a selfish luxury to be drinking right now, while my family teetered on the brink of life and death.

"Eria!"

I spun my head dispiritedly towards the voice. Ochako, Midoriya, Iida and Todoroki strode across the quiet hallway, looking stricken.

I remained quiet. I didn't look up at them, for fear I would burst into tears.

Everything was nice today: the school had no homework, Fat Gum had no assignments, the cafeteria food was exceptionally delicious, the sky was a brilliant blue. So why, why did something horrendous befall upon my family today?

I couldn't understand at all.

My friends and All Might stayed by my side until my family were strolled out of the operations theatres. I didn't even dare to look at them as they passed by before me.

I was afraid to see the white cloth covering their cold, lifeless bodies.

"Takasaki." It was Todoroki's sympathetic voice that greeted me after long hours of silence.