However, her vision was ripped away by a pain in her face.

"Are you even listening to me?" She winced as her face was jerked towards Landon, who was angry. He gripped both her cheeks and one hand and squeezed hard, causing her to gape like a fish. Tears swarmed her eyes, and the pain grew tighter he held. She noticed a cup of coffee in front of him and wondered how long he had been sitting next to her as she dreamed.

"I said answer me." She tried to speak, and Landon let go of her face as she rubbed both her cheeks. She tried to talk, but the pain increased and as she looked over his shoulder, and saw Rose standing at the entrance with wide eyes. She went to take a step forward, but she pleaded with her eyes to just walk away.

"I'm sorry I didn't hear." She watched as his eyes slated, and before she knew it her brain was rattling inside her head as her face met the cool marble bench-top. Her head throbbed, and the edge of her vision blackened, and she prayed she didn't pass out like last time. It was always worse when she passed out.

Landon had his hand tangled in her hair, pressing her to the bench and her eyes watered from the pain in her skull and the pain of Rose having to watch. She blinked her eyes and tried to focus on what Landon was yelling at her, but she couldn't. Her mind went into a different space filled with orange, various shades of brown, and so much light.

She felt as Landon pulled her up by her hair, and she knew it was useless to fight. She had learnt not to fight because she had never won.

"Fucking useless. I ask very little of you. I ask that you listen to me instead of going into that head of yours when I am around and what you do. I could see the starry look in your eyes." She stared up at him, terrified as he moved towards her. He threw her to the ground, and her bones ached as she impacted the hard floor. She tried to scramble backwards, but her body ached, and her head throbbed.

"You were thinking of painting, weren't you." He yelled as she sobbed. She nodded her head, unable to talk from the fear that was coursing through her. "Answer me!" He stepped on her ankle, and she cried out in pain.

"Yes, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to. I promise I'm not painting again. Please, I promise." She felt pressure on her ankle and knew if he pressed harder, he would fracture it again.

"You always promise Charlotte, but here I find you ignoring me with that starry look you get when you want to paint. Do you enjoy seeing me like this? Do you get a sick rush out of pressing all my buttons?" He removed his foot from her ankle and crouched down to her level, which was more terrifying than when he was standing.

"No. I promise I don't." She choked out as tears ran down her face. It wasn't always like this, this fear that she lived with every day, but the fear was better than the hate and self-loathing she felt for herself.

"Oh Charlotte, my beautiful lost beauty." He ran a finger down her sore face and wiped away the falling tears. She sucked in a deep breath and saw him through a blurry tear-stained vision. He leaned forward and kissed the top of her head, lingering as she shivered. She closed her eyes and waited. Her body was tense as his thumb gently ran under her eyes. They stayed that like. His lips pressed to her forehead, her body tense, waiting for what was to come next.

The moment was broken when his phone in his pocket rang, and she let out a deep breath as he stood up and helped her off the floor. She thought it was over when he grabbed the front of her robed and harshly pulled her towards him.

"If I find a lick of paint in this house, the consequences will be dire, my dear. Now clean yourself up and come down for breakfast. I have some things I need to discuss with you before I leave for the office." He let her go and walked away as she wrapped her arms around herself.