TWO: The Princess

Start from the beginning

A group of orange-skinned people stood at the end of the dirt track, waiting patiently as the carriage slowed to a stop. All of them wore identical grey robes that billowed in the freezing wind. They wouldn't notice the cold though. Her god, Sol, had gifted the Ishini with eternal heat. She, while grateful to not be Ishini, had been gifted by her god, Lune. Her illusionary powers were not always as useful but she still treasured them.

She gently shook her advisor awake as a guard opened the carriage door. He let out a final snore and stared at her with wide eyes. She rolled her own and with gentle steps, climbed out of the carriage.

Stones crunched under her black boots and she had to hold the ends of her lilac dress so that they wouldn't fall in the mud and puddles. An elderly woman moved towards her, seeming to float over the muck. She the same pale orange skin as most Ishini, a sharp contrast to the dark blue of her own.

"Greetings, your Highness," the woman said in the language of the Askari. Rina raised her eyebrows in surprise. According to her father, not many of the Ishini knew their language. "I am the Mother. Welcome to the Sanctum of Ishin." Ishin was the Old God of fire, the one these people believed gave them their gift.

"Thank you, Mother. I am glad to be here," Sharina replied, curtseying gracefully. She spoke the language of the Ishini, to let them know that they needn't attempt her language in order to speak to her.

The group of people behind the Mother bowed. Most were old, grey streaking through the brown and black of their hair. But one was much younger, around Rina's age. He met her gaze, his copper hair waving in the harsh wind.

The Mother smiled, bringing Rina's attention back to her. "Our midday prayer is about to begin," she said in her deep voice. "Please, walk with us, there is much to discuss." She gestured towards the ruins and Rina signalled for her guard to go ahead.

In a large group, they walked down the slope. Every now and again, Rina's dress would catch on the twigs that lay on the ground She wondered how the monks were able to do it with their billowing robes. "Thank you for allowing me and my party to stay, Mother. I would imagine you don't usually have this many visitors," she said, plastering a polite smile on her face.

"Not often, no," the Mother replied, her gaze flicking to the young boy with the copper hair. His back faced them, but even Rina could tell he was nervous. "My people don't usually ask many favours, your Highness, but I must ask one of you."

Rina frowned and looked to her advisor. He nodded. "Of course, Mother. What can I help you with?"

"Isiah," the Mother called and the boy with the copper hair stopped.

He turned to face them and bowed once more. "How may I serve you, Mother?"

"Walk with us," she ordered, gesturing for him to stand on her other side. Rina caught his gaze again and marvelled at the differences between their races. Orange skin, dark hair, yellow or red eyes, the double-pointed ears. They were so completely different. "Isiah has just entered his twentieth year, which means he is to start his pilgrimage."

"Yes, I know of your pilgrimages," Rina said. "We have some of your people in the Askari sanctum join us for a few months each year."

The Mother nodded and hummed in response. "Yes. Isiah will be doing the same in Ishmar. Except, the roads are growing more and more dangerous. Have done for the last ten years. Our people do not condone violence, your Highness, but I know every member of your people is trained with the sword. I ask, can my child please travel with you to Ishmar? I need to know that he will arrive safely."

Rina looked to her advisor again. She wanted to say no. She didn't want to travel with an Ishini. There had been enough of them on her travels already. But her advisor nodded again and she remembered what her father had told her. She must make a good impression with the Ishini if they wish to have a better relationship after the treaty is signed.