FILE ENTRY 1.0

Bella Starr

A black skirt-like garment called a hakama flows to my ankles, loose around my legs for freedom of movement. Over a heavy cotton jacket known as a bogu, a lightweight armor-pad covers my chest. For additional protection, I wear gloves and a black headpiece with a crisscrossed metal face mask. Traditionally, Samurai had worn the gear for centuries.

In the same black garments and armor, my friend Halo Mintaka mirrors my every move.

I wield a bamboo sword, gripping the handle with calm clarity. The tip of the wooden blade slants to the right, poised for my next offensive. For most of last year, I trained with Halo—and like now—had sweated to the point of dehydration. Behind my mask, the perspiration trickles down my forehead and clings to my brow. I blink once, twice, fighting to keep it from stinging my eyes.

With a loud gasp, I swing at Halo, my bamboo sword slashing down and across, clacking with a bone-jarring jolt into his sword.

I draw back for another blow, but Halo retaliates with high slashes so fast the strikes drive me back on my heels. He brings his wooden sword around and whips it at my midsection, forcing me to drop the tip of my bamboo stick, pointing it straight down at the floor to block his offensive, almost losing the grip of my weapon.

Having backpedaled under the fury of Halo's counterattack, I stutter on my feet. At the edge of the mat, I halt my retreat, and with a grimace, raise my sword into a refortified position.

Halo pauses, elbows out, his sword above his head, aimed to one side. "The art of Kendo trains and molds the mind and body for unity. Your body must become one with your mind."

"I know," I say. "It's supposed to give me a tenacious, no vigorous spirit. Still working on that."

I charge at Halo, trying to catch him with his guard down, but he sidesteps and spins, letting me go past. I sense him coming up behind me and turn in time to block his attack, stick to stick.

"How's that?" I say.

"Not bad for a novice—"

I jerk my bamboo back and waylay Halo's stick with a barrage of quick slices, each one followed by grunts and groans. He keeps his balance, his blocks precise and with little effort. He's toying with me, which makes my attack even more furious. While I'm on the offensive, he defends my onslaught as if he knows every move in my arsenal, which he does, but still...

As Halo backs away, springing off his toes, I summon a powerful blow, bringing my sword down on his blade with an exasperated gasp, but he meets the move with a powerful block.

Behind his mask, he smirks as our blades lock together in a standoff.

"It's not about aggression, Bella, it's about being one with your sword. Your weapon must be an extension of your mind. Yes, it takes skill, speed and power, but all that must be second nature. Anger clouds your vision."

"I'm not mad. I just want to win, at least once."

"You will." Halo breaks contact with my blade and relaxes. "Your enemy is your own frustration, your own impatience. It causes you to act without clarity, then you make critical mistakes."

After lowering my sword to the mat, I remove my head piece. "You know what? I don't want to be one with anything right now. I just want a gallon of water and a taco."

"A taco is my favorite thing to be one with." A smile creases Halo's mouth.

I do not disagree.

With the workout over, I peel off the chest armor, jacket, and gloves. Next, the skirt-like hakama comes off. Underneath the Kendo outfit, sweat drenches my purple tank top and black workout pants. My arms and shoulders glisten, cool in the open air. I wipe sweat from my face and neck with a towel. Beside me, Halo goes through the same post workout routine.

"I'll miss this place."

Halo frowns. "I thought you were ready to kiss Neptune Shores goodbye and get on with your life?"

"I meant the gym."

"And our time together?" He raises an eyebrow.

"Our workouts have been enlightening. I'm glad your father had the Kendo gear. On the way to Neptune, when I discovered he was the resort's chief doctor, I thought he'd pulled some strings to get you here, but I've learned over time that you're as much of a tech whiz as you are a swordsman."

"It has been an honor to instruct you in the Way of the Sword... and solve all your tablet's holographic technical issues."

I fold my Kendo outfit and hand the garments to Halo, who intends to wash them later. "Tell your father I appreciate the use of his gear, especially that he had a size that fit me."

"I'll pass the word." Halo starts for the exit with the gear piled high in his arms. "See you in the morning."

As he leaves the gym, I drop the towel in the laundry basket near the rack. I can't believe how fast my time at the resort had flown by. It seems like yesterday when I met Halo on the space jet and started our journey to the edge of the solar system. The transport ship took every bit of a month to reach Neptune. I remember it well. I struck up a friendship with Halo and two other passengers, Astra Ganymede and Caprica Venatici. During the flight, I discovered that the resort manager had assigned the four of us to the same shift as tour guides. Over the course of the next year, when new guests arrived, we escorted our groups around the half-mile wide space station that has its own beach and miniature ocean.

Tomorrow, I'll take the next step in pursuing my dreams, and it all starts when I board the luxury cruise ship, the Celestial Sea. But first, I'll work my final half-a-shift since my contract expires at noon, San Diego time.

Of course, we have something important scheduled for tonight. All contracted employees, a.k.a., the student tour guides, will be the first to receive the latest inoculation for Artificial Gravity Sickness. Halo's father, Dr. Jett Mintaka, will administer the two shots in the medical bay.

I guess we're the guinea pigs because everyone else gets their shots tomorrow.