Chapter 25 - More than Words

En başından başla

************

Quino unzipped his bag and took out a small box from it. He happily placed it in his pocket and went out of his cabin, looking quite neat and fresh.

Thanks to Raymund and Kate who lent their yacht, Quino was able to prepare well for his first monthsary celebration with Raffie.

Yes, that day was exactly one month after the Siargao trip. He wanted to make that day extra special, and to create long-lasting memories with Raffie.

He was about to knock on Raffie’s cabin but noticed that the door was ajar, so he called, “Raffie? Are you ready for breakfast, Wǒ de ài?”

There was no reply, so he went inside. But she was no longer there. ‘Did she went up the sundeck already?’ he wondered, striding out of the cabin hallway. He went up the deck and saw Raffie by the rail, talking to somebody on the phone. He carefully stepped down so she wouldn’t notice him, but couldn’t help but overhear what seems to be her conversation with Louie.

“Yes, Chum…well, I tried, but it’s our first monthsary and he really made a huge effort to prepare for it and everything around here is so wonderful that I don’t want to bring up the topic about going to West End and L.A….so maybe I’ll discuss it with him after the recital…of course, I do….it’s just for a few months, and Justin already told me they’re expecting me there…yeah, I hope it will be fine. Thanks, Chum! ….Pasalubong? Of course! See you tomorrow!”

West End and L.A.?...she’s obviously interested to take the offer…’ Quino thought, as he touched the small box in his pocket.

“Excuse me, Sir, pwde ko na po ba iakyat ito?” a lady from behind him, who was carrying a tray of food, asked in a soft voice.

“Ah, yes, please. Thank you.” Quino softly said, nodding.

As the lady went up, he followed and saw Raffie sitting on the rail, looking amazingly beautiful in her plain white long-sleeved blouse and brown shorts. Her long hair swayed gracefully as the cool morning wind blew gently on the deck.

“Good morning po, Ma’am,” the lady greeted Raffie.

Raffie immediately turned to the woman coming up the deck and cheerfully smiled. “Good morning din po…thank you….oh, Quino, andyan ka na rin pala…nauna na ako dito, excited akong makita yung view, eh.”

He took a few pictures of her while she was sitting on the railing and then rushed to her side and whispered, “Ako rin, excited makita yung view na lalong gumanda dahil sa’yo.”

“Now that sounds really cheesy,” she whispered back. And then, in a louder voice, she said, “Tara na, let’s eat! Mukhang masarap itong dala ni Ate na breakfast.”

“Let’s…” Quino led her to the round table and after saying a prayer, ate their meal.

“This is the second time I had breakfast in a yacht.” Raffie said, recalling the Siargao trip wherein she and Quino had their breakfast in a small yacht while on their way to Bucas Grande. “Kaya ba dito tayo nagse-celebrate ng first monthsary natin?”

Quino nodded and gave her a charming wink. “Since we can’t go to Siargao because of hectic schedules, this is the perfect place to relive the beginning of that memorable day. After this, what do you want to do? There’s a pool, a garden, a nice biking area…”

“I think biking would be nice…”

“You’re definitely right! We can use the folding bikes over there,” he pointed towards the two bikes near the stairs, his voice sounding excited. “Then at around 3 pm, we’ll go sailing while having our snacks, what do you think?” he then asked, as he served her with fresh orange juice.

“I knew those bikes wouldn’t be there without a reason,” Raffie said, with a knowing smile. “You sure planned this whole-day trip well, Mr. Right…Thank you. I really appreciate your effort, Quino.”

“I’m glad you do…okay, eat up, then we’ll rest a bit here on the sundeck and then go biking.” Quino pinched her chin, charmed at her childlike appreciation.

We’ll begin this day with fun and deal with West End and L.A. later…no need to think about anything else….just think about this moment, Quino,’ he resolved in his mind as he placed a slice of ham on her plate.