part fifty six: 24 hours

Start from the beginning

We walk in a comfortable silence until we stop on the sidewalk where there was a small building on the other side of the street.

The diner.

"This was the first night I drove you home." he grips my hand, looking ahead of us.

"You realize that I barely know you, right?" I say.

He shakes his head with a chuckle. "Look, its a hell of a lot better than walking home at night. You never know what's out there."

Thank god I accepted that ride.

I remember being in total awe of him as he drove. Who would have known that he'd become the most important thing in the world to me.

We got back into the car. The next destination was my apartment. We sat in the car outside the building.

"This was where our first kiss happened." he looked ahead, smiling and then turned to me. "Remember that?"

How could I forget?

My eyes flick to his, which were now staring at my lips. At this point, the tension in the room was building and building. Butterflies filled my stomach and it felt like I forgot how to breathe.

Then he leaned his head forward. His eyes closed and I felt his soft lips land on mine. I close my eyes and take it all in. He tasted so good. I slowly start moving my lips on his, deepening the kiss. My stomach is fluttering. I feel his hands come up to my face, cupping it. I run my fingers through his brown curls. Time has stopped in this moment. No one else was in the world except us.

I nod, feeling like my breath has suddenly been robbed.

I knew what he was doing now. He was walking us through our relationship.

We drove down the long highway until Harry made a familiar turn. Before I knew it, we were at the end of the driveway of the old house.

I feel my heart rate pick up. "Harry I don't know if-"

"Please." he says, getting out of the car.

So many bad things happened here.

But I got out with him. We walked towards the house and he went straight to the sliding doors of the backyard.

He opens the doors and steps out, then gestures for me to come out with him.

I step out and look around at the familiar grass, the fire pit, the hammock, all of it.

And then I look at him. And he looks at me.

"This is where I fell in love with you." he states. There was more pain in his voice now. "I just didn't know it at the time."

I remember kissing him here. I remember exactly how I felt, because that's the way I still feel everytime I kiss him.

I rest my head on his shoulder. I didn't know how to feel about this gesture. It made me happy, remembering all of these incredible moments together...but it also made my heart break, because I might not be able to make more of these moments with him.

After standing in peaceful quiet for a while, Harry speaks.

"I have one more spot to take you." his raspy voice says.

I feel like I'm on a roller coaster of emotions.

We go back to the car, and Harry drives a little bit before making a strange turn, yet one that I recognize.