"He'll wanna take us home!", Ben cried out. "He'll wanna get us all out of the Maze! Better we all jumped off the Cliff! Better we all jumped off the Cliff! Better we tore each other's guts out!"

"What's wrong with going home?", Ruby asked hesitantly.

"Ruby", Alby said warningly. He was warning her to keep quiet. Don't agitate him.

"What are you talking—", Thomas started. Ruby was so sick of feeling weak and helpless.

"Shut your face!", Ben screamed. "Shut your ugly, traitorous face!"

"Ben, I'm gonna count to three", Alby stated.

"They're bad, they're bad, they're bad..." Ben's chant was whispered now. He was tossing his knife back and forth, hand to hand.

"One."

"Bad, bad, bad, bad", Ben grinned. His teeth stood out in the dull light, greenish in hue.

"Two." Alby raised his voice in warning.

Thomas made the mistake of speaking. "Ben, I'm not... I don't even know what—" Ben gurgled out a scream, leaping through the air, swinging his blade around.

Ruby quickly stepped in front of Thomas, as if she could shield him. "Shut up, dipshit", she hissed.

"Three!", Alby shouted. The arrow whished through the air, a sickeningly wet thunk echoing when the arrow found its mark in the sick boy's jaw. Ben's head snapped violently to the side, twisting his body until he landed in his stomach. No sound escaped him. The arrow stuck out from Ben's cheek, blood seeping out like a stream. His finger's twitched. "Come on. Baggers'll take care of him in the morning."

Ruby turned to Thomas, gave him a half smile, and took his hand. She gave it a gentle squeeze. "You'll be okay", she promised. Thomas nodded. He allowed her to lead him home. Somehow, he knew this wasn't the first time she'd been his guide back to the light. Thomas was limping and grabbing his bleeding shoulder. Ruby refused to let him go. Her arms wrapped around his middle, she guided him every step of the way. When Thomas's knees gave out, she went down with him and rubbed his back while he emptied the contents of his stomach.

Frowning, Ruby leaned him back against the tree. He blinked tiredly at her. "Thanks for sticking by me, you don't have to", he whispered.

"I want to", Ruby said simply. "I'm gonna go get you some water. Stay here."

Ruby had wanted to stay with Thomas all day, but eventually she retired to her own room

Ruby had wanted to stay with Thomas all day, but eventually she retired to her own room. The next morning Alby gave her a pass. You've seen two horrifying events in about two days. You're only gettin a pass cause you're a girl, don't expect no more. You've gotta start pulling your weight round here eventually.

Her intentions were to follow Gally around like a lost puppy, but she'd discovered that Leo, the boy who took care of her after she was thrown in the Slammer, was a Builder and spent her time with him. She'd even helped out. Alby had caught her a few times, but didn't argue. If Ruby was alive and well, she could work just fine.