Chapter Twenty-six: Meant to be together

Daniel:

    “You’re lying.” Sebastian said pushing my shoulder. I winced at the pressure. I was still very sore from yesterdays altercation.

    “Oh, I wish I was.” I frowned. “How is every man in her life, a big muscular giant?”

    “So you were stripped all the way down to your boxers when he walked in and saw you?” Sebastian was trying to be serious, but I knew he wanted to laugh at my misfortune.

    “Yeah. I was just in my boxers and we were about to… you know.” I gave Seb a look “Then I’m being lifted up in the air and tossed onto the floor.”

    “Man, at least he didn’t catch you in the act.” Sebastian shrugged. I cheeky grin still adorned his face.

    “It was close enough.”

    “So I guess you are through. For good?” the German inquired.

    “I don’t know how I could come back from that.” I replied sadly. Finally admitting it hurt, it was over. I didn’t have a chance with T.C. and I would probably never see her again.

    “Hey, if it wasn’t mean to be then it wont be. If it is though, then somehow it will work out in the end.” Sebasitna shrugged. Sometimes he was such a cheeky little bugger and the next moment he was speaking wisdom beyond his years. I’ll never understand Sebastian, I guess its better just to accept him as he is.

    I shrugged sadly.

    “Maybe so mate.”

T.C.

    “What on earth was that?” Steele yelled. I have never seen him this angry. I watched him pace angrily back and forth through the living room. I cringed down in my seat timidly.

    I was unable to form a response for him. I didn’t know what that was, what I was doing. Why I had done that. I really wanted to make things work with my husband. Why did I even text Daniel? Maybe I had been more drunk than I thought. My stomach was turning in vicious knots. I felt awful for what I had done. I had hurt two of the most important men in my life, all in one moment.

    Steele contined to pace. He ran a hand through his hair, clearly frustrated. I could tell he was contemplating the whole sitation. I wish I knew what he was thinking. I could see on his face that behind all the anger and rage was hurt, deep hurt. And that made me feel even more guilty. Finally Steele paused and looked straight at me.

    “Does that ring mean nothing to you?”

    I looked down at my obscenely large diamond engagement ring and matching diamond encrusted wedding band.

    “It means everything to me.” I replied softly looking back up at him.

    “You sure have a funny way of showing it.” he huffed.

    “I’m so sorry.” I looked down at the floor “I don’t know how that even happened. I don’t know why I let it… I had so much to drink and I know that’s not an excuse. I just, I don’t even know.”

    I was rambling. My words barely made sense to me, I’m sure it was even more of a mystery for Steele to figure out.

    “He took advantage of you.” Steele shook his head in disgust.

    “I don’t think he realized…”

    “Who’s side are you on? You want to explain to me that it wasn’t your fault, but you also want to defend him and it not be his fault either? Honey, its got to be someones fault. That’s how it works.” Steele shook his head.

    He took the seat beside her. He was still upset, but he was calming down.

    “I just don’t want to hurt anyone.” I frowned “Not anymore than I already have.”

    “Someone is going to be hurt.” Steele ran his hand along my jaw, turning my head to face him “You have to choose between us. Its not fair to anyone.”

    “I’m married to you.” I nodded. My voice didn’t come out as strong and steady as I had wanted it to.

    “But you’re in love with him.” Steele gazed out the window.

    “No!” I said too quickly “It’s... I loved working on cars and in F1. And I know I have to give that up to be with you. That’s hard for me. You’re worth it though. I married you, I love you.”

    This sounded better.

    “I don’t want to be the bad guy.”

    “You’re not.”

    “Do you think we can give this a fair go? I mean, I really want both of us to be trying to make this work.”

    I was going to try my best.

    “That’s what I want too.” I nodded.

    “I just want us to have what we did when we first fell in love. We had no doubt that we would be together forever.” 

    We were invincible back then. Everything was perfect. No it has gotten so screwed up.

    “Lets have a baby.”

    The words coming out of my mouth surprised even me. Did I just say that aloud? Why?

    I could see Steele pondering the idea.

    “Are you sure about this?”

    Not really.

    “I mean, we’re not getting any younger. And if we really plan to make it work then, why not?”

    I looked down at the white plastic stick. More importantly the small pink plus sign that had appeared. Steele wrapped his arms tightly around my waist, resting his chin on my shoulder.

    “I love you.” he whispered into my ear before kissing my neck.

    “I love you too.” I said turning my head and kissing him.

    I placed the test on the vanity and pulled out my phone, snapping a picture and uploading it to twitter. It was official, I was going to be a mother and I was on top of the world.

Daniel:

    Post race, I was ushered into the a press conference. I had finished third. An excellent result. I sat down next to Felipe Massa and waited for it to start.

    The moderator started with the typical questions about the race. Then he opened the floor up for other media publications to ask their questions. The hands of the journalist immediately flew up, begging to get their question in first. A mic was brought to a weasly looking man with glasses.

    “William Sneadly, F1 unlimited. Question for Daniel. It was announced through twitter this morning that your former race engineer T.C. Jennings is going to be a mother. What are your comments on that? Is that why she stepped down from the position?”

    The words hit me like a brick wall. T.C. was pregnant? A million questions raced through my mind before I realized I still hadn’t answered the journalist. I did my best to compose myself, clearing my throat uncomfortably.

    “I don’t believe that was a factor in her leaving red bull racing, at least if it was I didn’t know about it. Um, yeah mate. I wish her and her husband the best. I will definitively be sending my congratulations to her.” I hoped that sounded genuine.

    Part of my was happy for her. She would make an amazing mother. The other part of my was crushed and I couldn’t exactly determine why.

    As soon as the interview ended I quickly made my escape. I pulled out my phone after I rounded the corner and dialed a familiar number.