Chapter Six: Facing my Fears

T.C.’s POV:

    I sighed and stepped aside to let him in. I guess I couldn’t put this off for any longer. Grabbed my coffee cup off of the counter and went to sit down in the living room with Daniel. I sat down on the couch and he was across from me in on of the arm chairs. Neither of us leaned back and relaxed. An uncomfortable tension hung in the air.

    “Why have you been avoiding me?” he asked.

    “I’ve just been really busy with other things. I haven’t been avoiding you.” I said unconvincingly.

    “T.C.” he looked at me with a sternness that I didn’t know Daniel was capable of. He saw right thru my lie.

    “I just feel awkward, and just so stupid.” I admitted.

    “For what?” he asked. He was joking right? What else did I have to feel awkward about.

    “My birthday? In my room? Remember?” I asked.

    “Oh…” he said quietly. “I didn’t think you would remember that.”

    “I wasn’t that wasted.” I said.

    “So… this is awkward.” he rubbed the back of his neck uncomfortably.

    “Yeah. That’s why I’ve been avoiding you.” I admitted.

    “Well, its alright. Look, its not something you normally would do. It was just all a big mistake. You had been drinking and didn’t realize what you were doing. We can just forget about it and move one.” he formulated a plan. Right, except it wasn’t  mistake. I had wanted to do that. He couldn’t know that thought.

    “Right, okay, sure.” I nodded, and put on a fake smile.

    “Great. I mean, jeeze you’re just like one of the guys. That would have been totally weird. You understand right?” He laughed. This hurt, badly. I’ve always been ‘just one of the guys’, and it has never bothered me. Until now at least. I guess that’s all I’ll ever be.

    “Right, so weird. Good thing you were thinking clearly.” I forced the words to come out of my mouth.

    “I’m glad you understand. I mean, I just knew you would be horrified if you woke up and realized I was in the bed with you. That would be far more awkward than this.” he laughed. The hurt only intensified. I wanted him to leave. I didn’t want to be in the same room as Daniel anymore. It just hurt too much. And he doesn’t even realize it.

    “Right. Totally.” I said. The door to my apartment opened. I was saved. My brothers all walked in. I watched as Hank made eye contact with Daniel. Hank was mad. He instantly made a bee-line towards Daniel. Oh, no. Don’t do anything stupid, I thought to myself.

    “What are you doing here?” Hank said gritting his teeth. Hank at 6’5” 250 could be quite intimidating when he wanted to.

    “I’m just here to talk with T.C., Um. I was just going though.” Daniel said nervously, getting up from his chair. Hank took another step forward, bowing up to him. Hank looked down at Daniel menacingly.

    “Hank, let Daniel leave.” I spoke up authoritatively.

    “Stay, out of this T.C.” Hank mumbled, staring Daniel down.

    “Um, pretty sure this involves me. So I don’t think I can.” I put my hands on my hips.

    “What is this about?” Daniel asked confused.

    “You hurting my sister. Do you know how worthless you made her feel? Men like you… no you know what? You’re not even a man. Men don’t treat women like that.”  my brother said. I couldn’t believe this was happening.