Chapter 18: Friendly Encounters

Start from the beginning

My mind has been stuck back with Camelot and all the people who live there from the moment I left. But my body has pushed me forward, the little voice in the back of my head knowing what is best for me.

Despite my fluctuating emotions, I can say that it feels fantastic to be back out in the wilderness again. Although my body reminds me of how little activity I have been doing for the past month or so, I find myself enjoying the familiar emotion. Being back in the forest makes it appear as if my troubles are now behind me, though I imagine they're far from it.

I wonder if Arthur will come looking for me, if not Arthur perhaps the knights? Or have I made my stance clear about who I am and my ways after what I had done to Leon? I wince at the memory, regretful of the whole encounter. Agravaine indeed wouldn't permit it, even if Arthur had told him of the entire ordeal. Or perhaps Arthur will just completely forget it?

If that were so, it would be very convenient for me, and I could pursue the normal life I so desperately crave. But somehow, somewhere inside, I'm hurt by the idea of Arthur letting me go. Why should I think that when I'm the one who has run away?

I feel bad for leaving my friends who have been so welcoming to me. Especially Gwaine. I know we were becoming close, and he was opening to me as I was him. Gwaine has helped me through my 'rehabilitation', if not more so than Gwen. I regret leaving him without saying anything. And I regret having possible screwed up a friendship. Multiple friendships...I shake my head, pinching myself for allowing my thoughts to run.

For now, I plan to make it to the White Mountains, dispose of this stone and get the money needed for me to disappear from the earth. Hopefully, I will find peace in a new life undisturbed. I hope this Allister is true to his word and pays a good deal. If not, I suppose I could take the stone and sell it elsewhere, but I already feel guilty about bringing it to Allister. I don't want to fall back into too many old habits.

"Well, looky what we have here, lads!" A high-pitched voice observes.

With the booming voice, I leap to my side, dazed as I was lost in my thoughts. My eyes scan through the forest, but I find no sign of a figure.

"Ow, well, you've got to be shittin' me!" Another voice, this one deep and rigid, exclaims.

I leap once more, the second voice booming from behind me. I hadn't noticed in my absence of mind that I had wandered off my trial. I'm now in a dense forest, the sunlight barely cracking through the forest's embrace. I'm in a low valley, the plain of it quite broad, the edges gradual, easy to run up if needed.

"Don't know if I'll be able to share, boys", a third elegant voice states. This time the owner of said voice emerges from the forest. He's tall, very muscular. Dark hair hangs over his sharp features, hazel eyes beading at me. He wears thick leather attire, many swords strapped to his back and hips. His skin is exceptionally tan and rough, suggesting this man has seen hard work in his day.

"Oh, come on, boss!" the deep voice groans, its owner now appearing to my right. "Let us have some fun for once!" This man is shorter than their 'leader' with a menacing appearance. His clothing is ragged, with all kinds of disturbing weapons attached.

"Shut it, Dolan! You always get all the fun!" the first voice interjects, appearing behind me. He is slimmer, with all bones and no muscle. His hair is short and dirty, face narrow and sluggish.

As my senses come back, I realise I'm surrounded. Every hair on my body stands as my instincts scream at the bad situation. In the past, I've found myself in worse off positions. This should be a simple walk in the park compared...but with that in mind, the taller guy, the leader, appears a threat, and it frightens me to think what he could do. I know I must protect myself and the stone in my bag. It'd be an awful shame to lose it after coming this far.