Chapter Forty-Four

TANIA

'Cade says you think I'm shutting you out

'Cade says you think I'm shutting you out.' Nia mindsent to Lex.

She felt the hesitation before he replied, his tone careful as if he was testing out each word. 'It feels like that.'

'I would never freeze you out like that Lex.' She reasoned. 'Even when I'm mad at you, I won't shut you out.'

'Well, are you?' Lex asked, unsure. 'Mad at me?'

'No,' she whispered back. 'It's just a bit hard to admit how right you were. I shouldn't have challenged Leo without talking to you.'

'She wasn't giving you much of a choice and neither was I. I've been arguing with you since yesterday, you were bound to push back.'

"Nia? Are you still with us?" Luna Althea's voice cut through the conversation.

Startled Nia flushed and couldn't meet the Luna's eyes. She hoped Lex's mum hadn't been calling her name for long, but from the snickers of Leo's five girlfriends she doubted it.

There was a lot of activity going on. The pack preparing itself to host various other alliances and even other races. There hadn't been an alpha battle in a long while and since word got out, the Alphas had received a lot of requests to watch.

"Sorry." She bowed her submission to the female Alpha who nodded her acceptance.

"As I was saying, we will have to accept most of the requests. If we don't, chances are we'll make more enemies. Some of the people coming will want to see a historic fight but some will be spying on our alliance for any weaknesses."

The Luna glared at her daughter, then at Nia. "This was ill advised." She declared and Nia lowered her head in shame.

"She challenged me." Leo tossed.

The Luna though, wasn't having any of that. "Since you've been undermining Nia's authority from the day she got here, everyone knows you set this up." Her tone was hard, uncompromising. "I've never been so disappointed of you before."

Nia felt the words twist through Leo's being with all the finesse of a powerdrill in the hands of a two year old. Nia's heart went to her, but she knew the girl wouldn't appreciate it. The young alpha raised her proud head in response then glared at her mother.

"No." The alpha command vibrated through the air just as Leo was about to snap back an answer. "There's a reason why alpha battles are no longer so common. Plenty of alpha heirs hate the idea of mating outside their packs, their alliance, but they put their packs and alliances above their needs."