Chapter Forty

LEXION

His mate lay curled in a foetal position, her hair hiding her face from view

His mate lay curled in a foetal position, her hair hiding her face from view. Clad only in one of his old shirts, she looked vulnerable, dejected. Lex felt inadequate to her pain, unable to break through it. He knew nothing he could say would make a difference. Even knowing her child was as safe as he could be, it didn't change that he was no longer with her.

At the sound of the door closing behind him, she shifted, her gaze meeting his. A wan smile, the first she'd given in four days, settled on her face. Though her eyes didn't agree with her effort, Lex was grateful she was trying. The fact that she was in her sitting room instead of the bedroom was even more gratifying.

Nia had been going through the motions, even her introduction to the pack had been more subdued than a funeral. She'd barely said anything, just went along with what was expected then came back to lie down on her bed.

"Hie." Her voice was softer than normal, weary. But it was no longer flat.

"Hey." He replied as he walked over to sit next to her.

Uncurling from her position, she sat up angling to face him. "I'm sorry I haven't been very good company lately."

"No," Lex was quick to deny. "You have nothing to apologize for."

She shook her head at that, frustration lacing the simple gesture. "You're always so understanding that it makes me feel guilty."

Lex's heart sank. The last thing he wanted was to add to her suffering. He was trying his best, if that wasn't enough then what was? Was he even capable of providing what she needed?

Suddenly, it was all too overwhelming. He'd thought he was making a difference, however miniscule. But to realise he was making everything worse was demoralizing. Lex was the person people came to for help, if he was incapable of easing his own mate what did it say about him?

Her hand gripped his and Lex looked up to meet her gaze. He hadn't even realised his eyes had dropped from hers. "It's not your fault," she stated. "It's mine and I shouldn't have said it like that.

I have been a mess from the day we met, even when I try to rise above it all, something else happens that messes me even more. You should be worrying about the next party, hanging out with your friends and what classes to take in the fall or something. Not gods, mates and children."

"And you?" He queried. "Shouldn't you also have no other worries too?"

Nia looked away from him, tears glinting in her eyes. "I'm the one with the mystery DNA, the one the gods are interested in."

Reaching out, he cupped her cheek. "No," he denied once again. "You are beautiful, amaizing, precious and deserving." Closing her eyes, she leaned into his touch. He leaned forward until his forehead rested against hers. She opened her eyes and for an eternity in time he got lost in her blue depths. Her soul bared for him to see.