Chapter Twenty

TANIA

Knowing that Jake's mother would be embarrassed later on for breaking down in front of her, Nia excused herself not long after Lex and the Alphas had

Knowing that Jake's mother would be embarrassed later on for breaking down in front of her, Nia excused herself not long after Lex and the Alphas had. In all the years she had been a part of the Dark Carnage, she had never seen the Luna anything but composed and regal, something that seemed to be a part of what made a Luna.

Nia could only imagine the devastation of having to deny your child all they were, to cast them out knowing it meant death and not a quick one at that. The stories told of the fate of the undesirable were harrowing, most killed themselves rather than face the sadism of the mythkind. Without a doubt Nia knew Jack wouldn't kill himself, as an alpha blood he'd be able to defend himself for longer, but it was inevitable he would fall.

Sadness washed over her as she realized all the lives that'd been ruined. How could she have been so oblivious to the pain of her pack mates? Granted, her aunt had sent them to an inclusive boarding school where all mythkind mingled, with some humans in the know thrown in. During the holidays they'd either kept to themselves or more often gone to some exotic place her aunt thought to visit. Still, she should have known.

They hadn't had much, their father had left them some money which her aunt Gina had insisted be spent on the best schooling. The rest had required some financial aerobics, much to her sister's trauma. This meant she had no idea how to be part of a pack, let alone know how pack hierarchy worked beyond theory. A luna heir had duties which even with the Lunas trying to teach her still left her out of her depths. And she had a baby on the way.

She knew nothing about raising alphas. Her unborn child would come into the world with the stigma of being the child of the first undesirable alpha, and when he learned how he was conceived...?

To top it off an alpha needed a pack. Would the Shadow's End accept her son as one even if he never became an heir? Lex's mother had called her baby 'the Eastaungffe heir', but Jack's parents were still young enough to have another child. With Jack disinherited and her not really his mate - after all he had rejected her - this child couldn't claim anything.

Was she being selfish to saddle Lex with all her problems, to expect him to raise another man's child when weres went over a century before having children? He was too young for the responsibility, not when he didn't have to. She could ask her mother not to destroy their packs, maybe even make Lex forget about her.

'When are you going to stop trying to run away?' Her wolf asked.

Nia's brow furrowed at the accusation. 'I'm not trying to run away, I just want to be fair to him.' She argued.

'No.' Tania adamantly stated, 'You have been waiting for a reason to leave and our mate is alpha enough to realize it. So are the rest of the alpha bloods here. You have been undermining him even though he has been true to us.'

The words were a dagger through her heart. She wanted to deny them, to protest their hurtful nature but a wolf never lied. At times they were evasive but lying was not a part of a wolf's nature.