Chapter 29 - Aria

Start from the beginning

"Why are you doing this?" I push him off of me, wrapping my arms around myself protectively. "You're making this worse. Stop it."

"He wants you to feel this way." Nate insists. "He wants you to feel like no one can help you and that you're all alone. He's making you feel this way because he's scared. He knows the second you leave him and get help, it's over for him. Don't let him make you believe that. Don't let him hurt you anymore."

"I can't." I sob, finally losing composure. From my peripheral I can see Dad wrapping his arms around Mom who sobs into his chest. All I've done is cause everyone pain. "I can't leave him. You don't know him. You don't know how he gets."

"I won't let anything happen to you." He grips my face. "Just please trust me."

For a moment my demeanour cracks and I long to believe his words. I long to hope that maybe, just maybe, I don't have to do this by myself and I can actually escape this nightmare. I can break this cycle and be free. But just as quickly I force myself to snap out of it.

Because I remember.

I remember the time I called Lisa in the middle of the night to ask for help and Robbie caught me, throwing my phone across the room and dragging me by the hair. I remember the time him and I went to a party and a girl pointed out the bruise on my leg, how I froze up and couldn't come up with an excuse, and how Robbie was so livid he took me into a bathroom, turned the tap on to drown out any noises, and hit me for acting suspicious. I remember the time one of the boys in his fraternity cornered me and asked me if I was okay and how Robbie caught us and thought I was cheating. He beat the shit out of the guy and took me home and beat me until I blacked out.

I remember all of it, pure fear gripping my throat, and I lose it all over again. Because fear drives you out of your mind and makes you do things you never thought you were capable of.

"Get away from me." I mumble and back away. Nate takes a cautious step forward and I snap. "Get away from me!"

"Baby, please." Mom tries.

"Stay out of this!" I scream.

"Aria." Dad's voice is firm but somehow gentle at the same time. "Aria. Baby girl. Please let us help you."

"I don't need your help." I glare at him, making my voice so cold Dad flinches. I regret it but it makes easier to control myself and not run into his arms like I want to. It's just easier this way.

"Aria." Nate tries again but I've especially had enough of him. He made everything so much worse. He thought he was saving me but all he managed to do was make Robbie paranoid and now my life is a living hell.

"I hate you." I grit out. My hands curl into fists beside me and I'm shaking with rage. "I fucking hate you!"

Nate's face cracks with so much hurt that if I wasn't so worried about my own pain, I would cry for him.

"You don't mean that." He says softly, shaking his head. His eyes brim with tears.

"I hate you." I repeat, hoping he'll leave me alone.

"I love you." He says instead, swallowing hard. "You can say whatever you want and do whatever you want but I won't give up on you. We're your family, Aria. You can't run from us."

"I can do whatever the hell I want." I growl. "I'm so fucking sick of everyone acting like they know what's good for me!"

"But we can help—" Dad interjects.

"Shut up!" My chest heaves. "Stop saying you can help! I'm so fucking tired of that word!"

"Don't talk to him like that." Nate orders. "You can say whatever you want to me but don't talk to our parents that way."