Chapter Two

Chapter Two

The dance was officially three weeks away and Riley-Ann still did not have a date. It was October now and a cool breeze brushed through the charms classroom as Professor Flitwick taught his fifth year magical music elective class.

Riley-Ann was the oldest of the four Deveraux's taking one of the charms professors after school magical music lessons. Today, they were practicing a charm that would write down the notes for the music they sang for them.

Riley-Ann, having grown up in a musical family, found this her favorite class of all. It gave her a chance to forget her troubles, whether it be school in general or a certain dance, and do what she loves.

She heard the sound of the other students strumming, pounding, and playing the keys on their instruments as they tried to get the notes to appear on their parchment with their wands. Riley just strummed away at her guitar as the notes gradually appeared on the parchment without any problem.

"Attention class!" Professor Flitwick projected over all the instruments. All the fifth years took their hands off their instruments and looked up at the professor when they realized he had something to say.

"As you all know, this October the twentieth, the school will be holding our first ever Sadie Hawkins dance" began the professor. The mention of the dance made Riley a little uneasy, as she still didn't have a date yet.

"I have been tasked with the job of putting together the entertainment and if any of you have any interest in being a part of it then you are welcome to come and talk to me at the end of class. It won't take much time away from enjoying the dance, so no need to worry about that" said the Professor.

Riley thought about the prospect of performing at the dance for a moment. She hadn't performed in front of anyone since she was little and her parents took her on tour with them, maybe this could be her chance to get back on stage.

***

Right after class she walked up to Professor Flitwick's desk with all her books in hand.

"Hello Professor" she greeted.

Professor Flitwick looked up from the papers he was grading and up at the blonde fifth year.

"Miss Deveraux" he acknowledged warmly.

"I wanted to talk to you about the dance, i'd like to perform something" stated Riley-Ann.

"Oh! That would be just wonderful. All four Deveraux's that would be!" said the Professor excitedly.

"All four?" Riley questioned.

"Yes! Your brother and sisters are performing as well. Maybe you could perform something together!" exclaimed the Professor.

"I don't know.......I haven't performed with my siblings in a long time" Riley said, laughing nervously.

"Oh well, we'll figure something out," said the professor with a smile. Riley then said goodbye to her professor and headed out of the classroom. As she made her way into the hallway someone bumped straight into her and all her belongings fell to the floor. She bent down and frantically began to pick up everything.

"I'm so sorry!" said a male voice as they began to help pick up Rileys things. Riley looked up to see the face of Remus Lupin. A small blush creeped onto her cheeks as she saw the boy picking up her sheet music.

"Moony you're such a klutz!" exclaimed Sirius Black, who was standing behind the boy. Once Riley picked up the rest of her stuff, she stood up and put it in her bag.

Remus Lupin stood in front of her with a very apologetic smile on his face and sheet music in his hands.

"Really, very sorry about that" said Remus as he passed her the sheet music.

"It's alright.......thank you" Riley said, still blushing uncontrollably as she looked into his big brown doe-eyes.

"See you around Deveraux" he said as he walked off with his friends.

Riley-Ann stared at the back of his head as he walked away, still dumbfounded about what just happened.

"What the hell just happened?"