Chapter 24

"Don't forget your promise, Luffy."

Nami released her friend's hand after arriving at the meeting spot and gave him a serious look. But instead of being intimidated, Luffy snickered and placed his hands at the back of his head.

"I never go back on my promises, Nami. That's what it means to be a man," he said proudly quoting his dad's words. This made the corner of Nami's lips turn up.

"You said that we can go anywhere tomorrow, right Captain?"

"That's right," Luffy snickered yet again deciding that he liked it when Nami called him that. They played pirates that day and got into an argument as to who was going to be the captain.

Luffy's logic was because he was a boy and he never heard of any girl captains while Nami retaliated saying that girls can be captains too as well as the fact that she was the oldest.

Luffy almost caved in but was too stubborn for his own good so they played a game of rock, paper, scissors and we clearly know who won first place.

"So where should we go?"

"You're the captain, Captain. It's your say. I'll go where you go."

"But one of the duties of a captain is to listen to his crew and to make sure they're always happy. I got to choose what we did today so tomorrow's your turn."

"Anywhere?" Nami's eyes sparkled

"Anywhere," Luffy repeated and his orange haired friend placed a hand on her chin in deep thought.

"The ocean..." she hesitated. She had always begged Bellemere to take her since they lived pretty far in the mainland and as far as she was concerned, the pictures on the television and in books were beautiful.

"But that's pretty far..." Nami said and thought about somewhere closer like a bakery or the museum.

"The ocean, huh? Why? Never seen it?"

Dragon took Luffy there all the time. The beach was one of his favourite places to be despite not being a good swimmer.

"No but I've always wanted to."

"It's awesome. The water is big and blue and when the sun shines on it, it gets all shiny and pretty like..." Luffy took one look at Nami's glistening eyes and blushed. "I'll take you."

"You can't take me, Luffy."

"Why not?"

"It's hundreds of miles away; maybe thousands and we're just kids. The journey might be dangerous."

Oh how she would love for them to go.

"I'll protect you."

There wasn't much strength in a 6 year old boy's body but when he said what he said with such assurity, Nami believed him.

She held out her pinky, "Promise me." And Luffy wrapped his around hers a little too tightly but she didn't care. Now she was over the moon with happiness. She couldn't wait.

As a goodbye she took Luffy completely by surprise, taking a step forward and kissed his salty cheek. And to her surprise he cried out, eyes growing wide as saucers and his mouth twisting in disgust as he tried desperately to wipe it off.

"What's wrong?"

"Haven't you heard of cooties?"

"No. What's that?" Nami was deeply confused.

"My big brother Ace said that girls are gr-" Luffy stopped himself just in time. Nami was no way gross so he wouldn't dare say that. He didn't want to hurt her feelings.