Chapter 9

Luffy, Sanji, Chopper and Usopp all sat around a tree just outside the main hall entrance of their school.

Luffy closed the lid of Sanji's special and leaned back against the tree looking as content as ever, his eyes closed.

He listened to the random chatter of his nakama, the rustling of tin foil and bags and the cool wind playing with the emerald leaves above.

Whatever sunlight escaped through the barrier felt amazing on his skin. It was a good day.

Usopp piped up, "You guys ready for gym?"

The principal thought a marathon was perfect to test the students' athletic abilities.

'Shishishishi' "That's easy."

Usopp sweatdropped and pursed his crumby lips. Luffy was awfully fit for his size. He, Zoro and Sanji were monsters- all prized members of the soccer team.

Sanji smirked and Chopper shivered in the background. The first marathon left him half-disabled for a week. Usopp hardly tried - giving up on the 20th push-up out of 40. But they trained and though they weren't expecting significant results, they knew that they would atleast do better.

"Where's Zoro?" asked Chopper.

"Probably lost like usual," Sanji said savouring the minutes before the marimo showed up. He could use the peace- the lack of nicotine made him irritable.

"Nami hasn't eaten with us for a while... Is everything okay?"

Usopp was not speaking to anyone in particular but all eyes naturally turned to Luffy. It had been 3 days.

Luffy's eyes opened feeling everyone's stares.

"Yeah. She's fine."

The unanswered question was left floating around in the air and Luffy sat up, stretching his back in the process.

"It's the truth. Nami said that it wasn't possible for us to hang out together all the time because she has club activities and a whole bunch of other stuff to do."

"Nami-san told you that?"

"Yeah."

Usopp placed a hand under his chin. Something was fishy.

"You guys aren't fighting again, are you?"

"No."

"Are you okay?" Chopper was most concerned.

"Yeah. Why wouldn't I be?"

He in turn had other engagements during break and he also appreciated the space.

"Besides, I get to spend more time with my best friends so all's good." 'Shishishishishi'

Everyone gushed. Usopp rubbed his nose looking as smug as ever.

"We're pretty great, huh?"

"Yeah," said Luffy eyeing Chopper's meal. The young aspiring doctor was occupied spinning in circles and clapping his hands with this dumb look on his face, spewing profanities.

Luffy stood to try his luck but got distracted hearing the call of his name and a familiar blue and red jacket came hurdling straight towards him. With uncharacteristic grace he caught it in mid-air.

Zoro came into sight.

"Nami sent that."

Luffy had loan it to her on their way to school. He noticed her rubbing her shoulders a bit. He didn't need it- he just wore it because his dad told him to.