Chapter 10

Nami left the clothing store holding the door long enough for a kind-faced old lady to pass through. She smiled hearing a faint thank you and made sure she was all the way in before going about her way.

In her bag were a pair of brand new navy blue socks she scored on sale. As she absentmindedly calculated the amount of money she saved in her mind, her eyes caught sight of her boyfriend disappearing behind a corner.

They were not walking home together today since Luffy mentioned that he had somewhere to go right after school. He didn't say where- it may have been private but Nami's feet moved on their own.

Following him was out of the question. If his engagement was a private matter, all she had to do was respect that.

Being one step behind him, she stretched out a finger and tapped his shoulder on the right.

"Hey."

"Hi... Were you following me?"

His eyes gaped in wonder.

"No. I saw you from across the street."

"Okay."

"Where are you heading to anyway?"

Luffy watched the busy road. The red light disappeared and cars zoomed by beside them in an array of colours.

"For a haircut. I was supposed to be there 15 minutes ago."

"Can I come?"

"Sure."

Luffy beamed matching his pace with hers. Didn't think that she'd be interested in something as dull as him getting his hair cut but he was glad for the company.

He snickered to himself.

"What's so funny, Luffy?"

Together, they reached the end of the sidewalk to stand with a handful of pedestrians. Anyone who would have known Luffy well and happened to pass by and see him at that moment could tell off the bat that he was standing a bit taller.

"There's someone I'd like you to meet."

"A friend of yours?"

"Yeah."

Needless to say, Nami was in for a surprise.

The door to the barber's squeaked cleanly closed and Luffy felt a force tug against his hand. Nami's shoes were nailed to the floor. She refused to budge.

The air reeked of cola and hairspray but the star of the show was the eccentric man most likely in his mid-forties thrusting his hips forward to loud disco music.

He did a spin and at the very end of the song, he threw heavy arms in the air with a resounding "Supeer!" .

The tape repeated and so began his profane dance routine all over again. All this time, he was unaware that he had an audience.

Luffy held his belly and keeled over with laughter bursting forth from his lungs. Nami on the other hand had her mouth hanging open getting a proper eyeful of the guy's fully bare hairy legs.

Regaining her senses she grabbed a firm hold of Luffy's arm. He wiped liquid from his eyes and looked at her with cocked brows.

"Let's go."

"Why?"

"I think you have the wrong place."

As far as she was concerned, they must have walked into some kind of strip club. The guy had zero shame.

"I don't. He's my barber."

"You're not serious."

"I am. He's really funny, huh?"