Chapter 66b - The End

written by Kakashi/edited by Panda & LigayaCroft

They managed to break Mo Yuan's seal after more than an hour of laborious counterspells. Finally with an indignant creak, the door to the Elixir Room swung open, presenting Zhe Yan, Donghua, Bai Qian and a few of the Kunlun disciples with a destruction of such grand proportions, they froze in shock before the gasping and wailing began.

Bai Qian was one of the gaspers and her hand came up to clasp her mouth as her eyes grew large and round like saucers. Her Shifu and the Demon Ancestor stood slumped against each other in the middle of the scorched chamber. His head was on her shoulder and hers on his and it almost looked as if they were hugging like oblivious lovers, but one needn't be a medical expert to realize they had died in each other's arms like this.

Tell me it's not true.

There was not a sliver of life left in them. Bai Qian knew this immediately, even without checking. The soulless body of her Shifu drifting down from the sky... slowly, almost like a feather, as if weightless. That image would be forever edged into her memories, haunting her in her nightmares.

I never wanted to see you like this again. How can you do this to me? And to your children? They haven't even gotten to know you yet!

"Oh no. Oh no. Oh no," a very pale Zhe Yan repeated these words over and over as he staggered towards the two bodies, his unsteady feet kicking up grey ash that covered the floor like dirty snow. He circled them once and then stood still, obviously at a loss about what to do next.

"She's holding Xuan Yuan," Donghua observed drily from the door. Always the most cold-blooded among all the immortals, though Bai Qian could hear that even his voice shook.

The Demon Ancestor had stabbed her Shifu? With his Father's sword? Had she gone completely mad now? She had clutched it in her hands during the entire journey to Kunlun and during birth. Bai Qian had not gotten around to asking her why.

Bai Qian felt horrified, then puzzled. There was no blood. And, even more importantly: "Sh... shouldn't the sword come out of his back?" she asked. The blade was several feet long but there was no exit wound. As if her Shifu's body absorbed the sword.

Zhe Yan stepped closer and bent down to get a better look at what the situation was between the two lifeless High Gods.

"Her hand is reaching into his body," he declared with a visible shiver. "Up to her elbow."

"Extraordinary," Donghua exclaimed. "Did she think a sword alone would not do the trick?"

"She would never kill him," Bai Qian exclaimed, "surely you must know this!"

"Ah, Xiaowu. You weren't there when we were young," Zhe Yan said gravely.

"Killing each other is some kind of sport between them," Donghua nodded.

"Throwing each other down the deepest crevices they could find, crawling back to school days later when we had all given up hope already..."

"The more blood they drew, the better they liked it. Hm, it is a very strange way to express your love now that I think about it." Donghua frowned.

"It must be the Mirror!" Bai Qian exclaimed.

Of course! The mirror! The other things the Demon Ancestor had clutched as if her life depended on it. And maybe it did?

"The mirror?" Zhe Yan frowned and bent down again. "What magic is this supposed to be?"

"It's a Demon artefact!" Bai Qian quickly explained and went on to describe what it looked like.