Chapter 60

written by kakashi

"Gone? What do you mean he's gone?"

"The God of War is no longer here in this town, Crown Princess," the ex-Celestial now-Demon woman explained. She was pale and shaking like a leaf in the wind, Shao Wan wasn't sure whether from excitement, fear, exhaustion or all of them.

"The toilet break," Shao Wan said sourly and kicked a broken stone pillar, though not too hard since she didn't want to hurt her toes.

The Crown Princess pressed her lips together and glared at the two battle-marked demons before her even more angrily than before. But it wasn't their fault of course - it was Shao Wan's. The toilet break she had needed before leaving the immortal world had cost them an hour or more down here, Shao Wan calculated. Enough time for someone like the God of War to demolish parts of a mortal town and be gone without leaving a trace.

He had fallen into the Soulswappers' hands, Yu Dian had explained. Deliberately, but making it seem like he put up a massive fight, which had involved wounds, though nothing too bad. He was who he was and it was probably why she had fallen in love with him, but Mo Yuan sure had an annoying tendency to make her worry a lot. If only she could have full and unwavering confidence in his abilities... Instead, she could never quite forget what she had so often dreamt about: Mo Yuan dead, his heart pierced by her sword.

"Did he leave a message for me at least?" she asked and sat down on the steps to some run-down house, feeling a bit faint after all the excitement, arranging the folds of her gown into regular patterns around her legs. She found this activity to be soothing. She had strong urges to put things into order recently and she got very restless if she didn't indulge.

"Yes, Demon Ancestor," the Green Lord bowed. "But let me first express my happiness to see you so well, with your powers restored."

Ah, here was a man who knew how to talk to women, Shao Wan thought. She had pondered the issue of advisors, bodyguards and staff recently. Fong Hung would be her Head of Household. Yue was set to be Head of Guards and she would ask Yi Mei Niang for the rest of his brothers to be her bodyguards. This man now... Shao Wan cocked her head to look at the Demon Lord more thoroughly. The Purple Queen swore by him. He was quite certainly very smart, and seemed loyal and capable. He also was the son of somebody she had cherished a lot.

And he was exceptionally handsome. That never hurt. In fact, since she expected to spend a lot of time with this man, it was a particular asset.

"You," she addressed Yu Dian, pointing a finger at him for emphasis, "I am choosing you to be my chief advisor."

The Green Demon Lord's face lost all color only to then return in excess.

"I... what... honor so great...," he stammered, throwing himself down into the dirt before her with a flourish. Yes, she was content with her choice. They would get along perfectly fine.

"But Demon Ancestor," the ex-Celestial woman piped up, "we promised the God of War to stay here and watch over his brother. Yu Dian cannot leave yet."

"Oh?" Shao Wan scoffed. "Says who? You're my subjects. The God of War has no authority in Demon matters. In fact, the only thing he has authority over is his Mountain that he left behind unprotected, the fool."

Jie Jing gaped at her respectless words, which satisfied Shao Wan quite a bit. As had the report that Mo Yuan had been visibly taken aback by the Celestial woman's change of clan affiliation. Celestials would always be Celestials, thinking they were the only worthy clan in all the realms. If they heard about this, they would riot! She would gladly open up her birth cave for those willing to transform. Of course, she would charge a nice sum depending on the level of affluence of the candidates.