Chapter 49

written by kakashi / edited by Panda & LigayaCroft

The plains stretch as far as the eye can see. There are a thousand shades of green in the world, most of them unnamed. The scent of wet grass after the gracious rain tickles his nostrils and his legs want to run, run, run right to the edge of the world and beyond, but...

"Feel powerless," the old woman says, "feel useless. Feel like the thousands upon thousands you have killed."

His limbs are so heavy. Black mist is forming around him. He puffs it away, but it returns. It pulls at him, pulls him down. Earth magic, strong and dangerous, tethers anchored deep in the ancient land.

And then he hears the Dragon approach. The Sky opens its mouth and screams. It's the sound of death.

***

"Where is Mo Yuan?" Shao Wan shot up and craned her neck both ways as soon as Zhe Yan appeared at the door, but only the black-clad Crown Prince with his sour face, supporting his wife by the arm, came out behind him.

"I knocked him out with a sleeping potion," Zhe Yan said gruffly, "did you know the fool hasn't slept in what could be weeks, maybe months? He has some major catching up to do."

No, she had not known. But she could have suspected, if only she had paid more attention. When they had spent time together in the mortal realm before coming to Qing Qiu, he had always told her not to wait up for him at night, that he would join her in a moment. Since she was so incredibly tired, waiting had never worked anyway, her eyes had shut themselves on their own. When she woke up again, he would smile at her from across the room, wishing her a good morning. In recollection, his smiles seemed a little strained.

But why had he not slept, she wondered now? To guard her? Or... could it be because he was afraid of slipping into her dreams again?

She had come to suspect it was his time in her Dreamscape that had changed him, but he did not talk about it.

"How could I be, Shao Wan," he had once said after she had tearfully asked him whether he was angry with her because of something she had done in her dreams, "just rest and get better. Don't worry too much."

She had slept a lot during their time in the mortal world. He had meditated next to her, constantly gaining strength to be able to get them back home, while she had just... slept. Eaten. Thrown up.

Shao Wan sighed. When had she become this useless?

"He is going to be much better when he wakes up in a week or two," Zhe Yan told her, putting a hand on her shoulder for comfort, "do not worry. Giving him new Foxblood worked. And I am sorry for snapping at you, I was... a little tense."

Shao Wan nodded her forgiveness as relief flooded her heart. Zhe Yan cared a lot for what he considered his "little brother". And by the Old Ones, she understood his anger. She'd be angry too if she had the energy.

"I am in your debt," she said to the Crown Princess who approached slowly, looking a little pale and shaken, and she bowed properly to both her and her husband, though her belly made it a bit of an effort to get back up gracefully. "Please let me know upon your earliest convenience how I can pay you back."

The Crown Prince still just looked somber, but a little something awakened in his eyes when she looked at him more closely - anger?

I dreamt of him! Shao Wan remembered with a start. Several times. Hmmm...

A small shudder sneaked down her spine. Not the kind of dreams she should mention in front of his wife, unless she wanted to be massacred by a rabid fox.