15. smiley threats and lost lives

Start from the beginning

Madhulika highly doubted that, but she didn't respond. Brigesh continued.

"We were just concerned about certain state of affairs in Bhabra and were hoping you, with your money and influence, would be able to help."

Madhu had spent enough years negotiating hard deals to know that this wasn't a simple charity request. The man in front of her was acknowledging her power, he was here for an alliance not a battle.

Her uneasiness waned a little. He was not here for picking a fight. Not today.

"Please," she said through clenched teeth, struggling to maintain her smile. "Come inside." Allowing three of them into the enclosure, she closed the heavy metal gate in the face of Brigesh Babu's goon. "Not you."

"Let him in, he's under our employ." Unlike his father, Vishal didn't bother to disguise his contempt with a customary smile.

"Well then, you should hire people who respect women. And animals. This man has assaulted a person in my employ and he's not welcome here."

Madhulika had to use the last remnants of her control to remain still when he threateningly stepped towards her, but Brigesh grabbed his arm to hold him back. "It's okay beta," he told his son, before addressing Madhu. "The only reason we brought him here was so that he could apologise. But I'll do as you say."

By this time, Madhu's smile had slipped, and she had to harden her features to disguise her apprehension. She could feel beads of sweat on the back of her neck, unsure about how long this game could last, or for how long she could keep up with the charade. She could already feel her mask slipping away.

Her eyes moved to the copper-haired man, taking in his visibly confused state. He didn't look like one of Brigesh's men. Her doubt was cleared soon enough by Brigesh himself. "This is my friend Mr. Rana. He is the headmaster of the school in the neighbouring village."

Yet another indication of armistice. If Brigesh wanted to kill her he wouldn't have brought a third-party witness.

Madhu wordlessly joined her hands in the headmaster's direction, bowing her head in a silent Namaste, before showing them into her drawing room. Chikki remained on her heels and resumed barking.

Madhu grabbed a bowl that was lying on the floor of the hallway inside her house, and placed it in front of Chikki. He picked it up with his mouth and took off in the direction of the uncultivated field where Nakul's workshop was. For the first time Madhu was thankful that Chikki was just a greedy brat.

She hoped Nakul would understand her message. The bowl was the same one Nakul fed biscuits to Chikki in. He was sure to come back inside the kitchen, back inside the house to get said biscuits.

When her dog was out of sight, Madhu entered the drawing room herself.

Brigesh had settled himself in the old wooden armchair, the same one which used to be the preferred seat of her grandfather's. His stout frame wasn't impressive enough to suit the chair, and Madhu resented the way he rocked in it, his chubby feet barely grazing the ground. His personality was by no means scary. In fact, he looked like the kind of passer-by who could earn a respectful nod from Madhu while waiting in the ATM line or something. His son Vishal, on the other hand, looked every bit of a stoic mafia-type, except, akin to a mindless brute, he seemed incapable of reigning in his anger.

The old headmaster, sitting next to Vishal, looked comically ignorant of the thick tension enveloping the room. "You have a beautiful home," he commented good-naturedly.

"Thank you." She moved forward to stand over them, separated only by the wooden centre table. "Would you like some chai? Or coffee?"

"Oh no we're just here to—"