Chapter Thirty Two

Friday
5:45 P.M

Fuck. 

My vision was blurring. I could feel my muscles giving out as I struggled against the restraints of the parachute.

Is this how I was gonna die?

I barely had enough strength to call out Wade's name. Once I did, it came out raspy and the straps only seemed to get tighter. I pulled and pulled as hard as I could, violently whipping around to try and get them off of me. I heard something in the distance, it sounded like the screeching of metal on metal. 

Maybe it was Wade. Maybe the plane was crashing. Maybe I was going insane.

No matter what it was, I didn't pay much attention.

I can't pay much attention when I'm literally dying.

"Peter stop freaking out!" Wade called; he was near. On the left wing, maybe. But I'm not entirely sure, I couldn't see anything at this point. I tried saying something, but it only came out as a screechy inhale, like how people sound when they're coming out from underwater after being under for a bit too long. It took so much strength just to inhale, and my throat started burning. My eyes began watering and if I wasn't already being violently pulled around by the plane, I can guarantee I'd still be shaking.

I stopped fighting the restraints like Wade told me to, but I was almost out of strength anyways. 

I have to trust Wade.

My life is in his hands, now.

Friday
5:47 P.M
Wade's POV

[Oh my god oh my god oh my god-]

{Will you shut the fuck up? This is entertaining!}

I held onto the wing of the plane, right next to the parachute that was stuck on it. 

Oh god what do I do?!

Peter stopped fighting the restraints, he just sat there with his hands on the straps, his front facing the ground thousands of feet below us. I took in a shaky breath. There was only one thing I could think of. 

[Cut the restraints]

{Peter would fall, but frankly I wouldn't mind that}

[We'll catch him.]

{And then what?}

[Grab another parachute!]

"There's no time." I told the boxes. "Not yet at least." 

I pulled a knife out from the metal.

{What are you doing?!}

I stuck it into the left wing once again and shifted to the side, crawling my way towards the parachute. 

[PETER'S DEAD!]

{YOU KILLED HIM}

[YOU KILLED PETER AGAIN WADE!]

{DISGRACE}

[LOSER]

{CAN'T EVEN SAVE ONE PERSON'S LIFE}

I swallowed hard and carried on. 

Finally I made it to the parachute, it whipping violently against the wind. There was only a little bit more of the parachute left on each side before it split completely in half and Peter would fall to the ground. I just need to make that process faster.

{WHAT}

[YOU'RE GONNA KILL HIM]

I pulled the knife out.

[DON'T DO IT WADE]

{WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO ONCE HE FALLS? LET HIM DIE?!?!}

I grabbed onto the parachute and began cutting. 

[WADE!]

{WADE!}

I finished the first cut and the parachute slid to the side, now only hanging by one piece of the material, getting smaller by the second. I scooched over to the remaining parachute and started sawing my knife through the material.

[Peter's so dead]

{You really are a killer}

"Shut up!" I yell. 

The parachute finally pulls off the left wing, and Peter is descending to the ground.

Friday
5:50 P.M
Wade's POV

I jump off the plane with no hesitation. 

I pencil dive down towards Peter. He was descending slower because of the flailing parachute, and his arms and legs were spread out. 

Please don't be dead, please don't be dead.

Finally, I'm only feet away from him. I grab onto the parachute that was now above him and pull it up to me, bringing Peter upwards. I grab onto his arm and pull out my grapple.

[Oh, of course. The grapple, how convenient]

{Should've seen it coming}

I position myself and turn towards the plane, shooting the grapple up to a wing. 

It misses.

I feel myself getting anxious. I let out a couple swears as the grapple comes back. The plane was getting farther by the second. I reload the grapple and shoot it once again. This time, it thankfully wraps around the wing successfully. 

I was jerked upward for a second when the grapple reached the wing. I nearly dropped Peter, but I held onto him like he was the only thing I had left. 

Well, he was the only thing I had left.

I let out a shaky breath. We were moving at an even pace now, following the plane we were attached to. 

I turn to Peter. He still had the parachute around him, but it wasn't causing any more restraint. With both of my hands now full, I leaned over and pulled one of the straps off him with my teeth, letting it go and watching it fall to the ground. I take off the other ones as well.

I clicked the button to raise us up the grapple. I waited a couple seconds for it to start pulling us up.

We didn't move. 

"Shit," I whisper, and press the button again. We still weren't moving. "Shit shit shit why now?!" I said loudly.

I hear a quiet whimper and what must've been an attempt to say "Wade." I turn to Peter, and his eyes were slightly open. He looked up to me for a second, and then looked down.

"Shit." I said once again.

"Holy fuck Wade what are you-?" 

He started shaking and moving around, obviously startled by the height we were at.

I tightened my grip on his arm and grunted at his frantic movements. It wasn't making this any easier. 

"Calm down Peter it's okay, you're okay."

He stops moving around and looks up to me, with tears in his eyes. "Wade?" He asks sadly, and now I notice a slight raspiness in his voice. There was a dark red streak across his neck; the straps really did some damage. 

{And it was your fault}

"Shh, it's okay. Just, come up here." I say. He nods and climbs up me, finally lining his chest with mine, curling his legs behind my waist and laying his chin on my shoulder. He held on like it was for dear life. Maybe it was.

I held onto him, and clicked the button again. Finally it worked.

We were slowly lifted to the plane.