No Matter What

"Hey, baby. How was your appointment?" Wanda asks, slipping her bookmark in and closing the book. You awkwardly limp across your bedroom floor to set down your bag.

"Fine," you grumble. The bag plops down on the floor making the contents inside spill out. You sigh, but are in too bad of a mood to pick any of it up.

Wanda slides her legs off the bed and walks slowly to you. She gently runs her hand along your bicep. "I thought Shuri was fitting you for your vibranium leg today."

"Nope," your voice shakes. "She has to work out the weight support. She has to make sure that not only will I be able to stand on it, but more intense movements like running and jumping." Wanda gives you a sad look. Your heart tugs as you feel her sorry eyes. She's been giving you a lot of sad looks lately. "Until then I'm stuck with this piece of crap." You extend the pale plastic prosthetic leg.

"It will be off before you know it," Wanda attempts to reassure you. You ignore her hopeful comment. You stare at the inadequate replacement for a leg. It feels too tight on your thigh. Maybe it's supposed to be this tight, but it doesn't change the fact that it's uncomfortable.

"I want it off now," you mutter quietly. Wanda looks at you questioning. The pressure in your thigh is more apparent. It feels constricting. The color of the prosthetic doesn't match your skin tone. It looks abnormal like there's no place for it. "I want it off." You try shaking it off as if it will just fly off like a tennis shoe. Anger growing inside as it doesn't budge.

"The doctor said it would take some time to get used-" Wanda is immediately interrupted.

"I want it off!" You can feel tears streaming down your face. You claw the the site where your flesh and plastic meet. "I want it off!" You sob.

Wanda makes quick work of loosening it with her powers. The leg floats slowly to the far wall, resting against the window sill.

You hold onto Wanda for support and cry into her shoulder. She wraps her arms around you. Wanda feels her own tears prick her eyes. She knows how difficult it has been for you since you needed your leg amputated. Unbeknownst to you, she's unable to shake the feeling that she is somewhat responsible.

That day that it happened, Fury assigned the Avengers on a mission to destroy one of the last active Hydra facilities. As one of the most powerful avengers, Wanda was sent on almost every mission. Due to the lack of a threat from a dissipating Hydra, Fury said that Wanda could have a break and sit this one out. The others were more than capable without the witch's assistance.

The mission was a success until a grenade severed your right leg from the rest of the body.

You don't remember what happened after and Wanda makes an effort to not mention the incident even though the audio from the comms plays in her mind almost every hour.

"I know, baby. I know," Wanda comforts you as she strokes your head.

"I h-hate it. It feels wrong. It makes me... feel wrong," you confess. Wanda's sleeve is damp from your tears.

"Why did I have to lose it? I miss my leg. I hate how it feels. I hate how it l-looks. I hate how I look. It makes me feel like I don't belong," you whine. You try to not let it bother you, but you can feel strangers' eyes that go from your leg to your face then back to the leg. Even your teammates stare though they pretend not to.

"Hey," Wanda says in a serious tone. "You do belong. You belong on the team and you belong with me." She lifts your chin up to make eye contact. "You are the most beautiful girl I have ever laid eyes on." You scoff at the compliment and roll your eyes. Wanda grabs your chin with more force. "I mean it, y/n. You make my heart stop every time you walk into a room. Everyday, I selfishly think that I'm glad that only your leg was amputated. I can't imagine what I would do if you were gone."