Chapter 5

Sang's POV:

I enter the enchanting restaurant, my eyes widening in wonder at the massive mural that covers an entire wall of the restaurant, captivating me with its intricate details. The warm yellow lighting and dark wooden decor exude a cosy yet sophisticated ambiance. The lunch rush has just ended, and there is a tranquil hum of conversation from the few lingering patrons. I follow the two men ahead of me, Dr. Green's sandy curls bouncing with every step, a comical sight that almost makes me burst into laughter.

We approach the centre front desk, and Mr. Blackbourne addresses the girl behind the counter, not much older than myself, with her bright pink ringlets perched atop her head.

"A table for four, please, Ms.," he requests.

The girl gathers a stack of leather folders and leads us to a table at the back, adjacent to a small pull-out stage. Placing the folders before us, she smiles and instructs us to wave when we are ready to order before returning to her post.

I prepare to sit down when Dr. Green gallantly pulls out the chair next to mine. "My lady," he grins, gesturing towards the seat. I lower myself into the chair, but a squeak escapes my lips when he unexpectedly pushes it in for me. Chuckling, he settles on my left, with Mr. Blackbourne already seated across from me, granting him a perfect view of the restaurant entrance. This arrangement means I won't have to strain my neck when conversing with him.

Mr. Blackbourne suggests reviewing the menus and waiting for Mr. Ravenstahl before continuing with the introduction. Although it sounds more like a statement than a question, I nod in agreement. Examining the leather folder before me, which turns out to be the menu, I notice an odd absence of prices. I frown and address the issue with Mr. Blackbourne.

"There aren't any prices," I point out.

"I don't understand," he replies with a hint of confusion.

"How will I know what I can afford if there are no prices?" I ask, genuinely puzzled.

His eyes spark with understanding and amusement. "It's okay, Miss. Order whatever dish pleases you; we'll handle the check."

As if sensing my hesitation, he reassures me, "I assure you, it is perfectly fine, Miss. We have more than enough money to cover anything you wish to order."

"Thank you," I say, relieved, and offer him a grateful smile. Despite accepting his explanation, countless questions swirl in my head. Why would a palace official bother spending money on a civilian like me? And is it common for strangers to take others out to eat? From the few novels I had read I had assumed it was something only close friends or romantic partners did.

Before I can delve further into my thoughts, a basket drops before me, causing me to startle. However, I quickly realise it's my shopping basket, which the guard, Mr. Ravenstahl, has returned to me. I give him a wide smile as he takes the remaining seat next to me.

"There you go little miss, all is there." He says grinning back at me.

His wording confuses me slightly, but I don't want to seem uneducated by correcting him, assuming it's just the way higher-ups speak and disliking the thought of making a fool of myself in front of such sophisticated people.

"Thank you very much," I say, blushing as I observe how handsome he looks. Truth be told, all three men are remarkably attractive, though I haven't spent much time observing men's appearances before. In saying this Mr Ravenstahl is as equally fierce looking as he is handsome, and I would highly dislike to be someone that he held ill feelings towards.

Mr. Blackbourne clears his throat, signalling the time for introductions. He introduces himself as Owen Blackbourne, and I offer my name—Sang Sorenson—I take note of his last name as according to the proprieties I have been taught by my stepmother it would be disrespectful of me to refer to anyone by their first name when they are higher than me as I will surly taint it and they will never want to hear it again.