Chapter 12

A report - 3rd person

Victor paces restlessly in his opulent chamber, cursing himself for the millionth time. The memory of the mysterious deer girl lingers in his mind, her name an elusive secret he failed to uncover. If it weren't for North, that overprotective brute, he might have had his answer. Frustration weighs heavily on him as he halts his agitated strides, Owen entering the room at that moment.

"Your Majesty. You summoned me," Owen Blackbourne utters with his usual air of indifference, his face concealed behind a signature emotionless mask.

"For Aldera's sake, Owen, drop the formalities," Victor exclaims, his voice dripping with exasperation, as he settles into a chair at a small table in the room.

"As you wish, Victor. Why have you requested my presence?" Owen's discomfort at addressing the prince by his first name is evident, but Victor refuses the use of royal titles among his chosen brothers. Using his last name would only tie him to his father, a cruel man whom Victor tries to distance himself from, both physically and emotionally.

Victor's mind drifts to the reason behind summoning Owen. Thoughts of the girl he encountered in the woods consume him—her breathtaking beauty, her courage, and her wit, all evident in their brief encounter. It is her ignorance of his title that captivates him the most. Throughout his life, Victor has been treated as a mere pawn, an object of conquest. Women have sought his dignity and wealth, while men have pursued his influence. But this woman was different—she treated him as an equal, someone no more significant than a commoner. It is refreshing, a rarity he has only experienced among his brothers, who, even in their interactions, must adhere to some formality due to his father's strict rules.

"I have a proposition, Owen. One that will surely anger my father, but with your influence, Axel's support, and the backing of my mother, he won't be able to refuse," Victor declares, his thoughts consumed by the girl in the woods. His upcoming birthday presents the perfect opportunity to seek her out and meet her once more.

"I plan to extend an invitation to every maiden in the country for my birthday celebration. My mother won't pass up the chance to display her wealth, and though my father may disapprove, my mother's persistence will wear him down eventually."

"This is about the girl you met, isn't it? You hope to find her at your ball," Owen interjects, his skepticism evident in his tone.

"Yes, Owen. I know our meeting was brief, but if I am to be forced into marriage, I'd rather it be with someone who sees me as human," Victor asserts, his words filled with earnestness. Owen gazes at his prince skeptically, understanding the flaws and uncertainties of this plan, before finally responding.

"And what if she doesn't attend? What if you become so overwhelmed by the influential ladies the royal couple throws at you that you miss her presence entirely? And even if your plan succeeds and she does show up, how can you assume she will be willing to marry you so soon? You've only met once, and only briefly at that," Owen points out, causing the Prince's confidence in his plan to wane.

Victor shrinks visibly, the initial assurance draining from him. He is aware of the numerous faults and uncertain outcomes of his idea, but his infatuation has blinded him to the unlikelihood of success. Owen feels a twinge of guilt as he studies the prince's demeanor. He wants his brother to find happiness, but marrying a stranger on a whim seems far from the best course of action.

"I can use the ball as an opportunity to get to know her," Victor retorts, a hint of hope creeping back into his voice.

"And how do you suppose she will react when she discovers your royal status? Knowledge of a person's title tends to alter their behavior," Owen counters, his analysis tinged with negativity. Though Victor doesn't appreciate Owen's pessimistic outlook, he recognizes the importance of acknowledging these concerns.

If the girl changes her behavior around him because of his status, Victor will undoubtedly be disappointed. However, there will be many other women to entertain him, and in the end, he will likely marry the woman his parents deem most suitable.

"If she turns out to be different from my initial judgment, then I shall move on. I'm sure my father would be pleased, as it would provide him an opportunity to expand our kingdom's reach by marrying me to another royal family," Victor concedes, his confidence slightly shaken.

"I see," Owen acknowledges. "This perspective might be useful in convincing your father. If you suggest that he allows all maidens to attend the ball, on the condition that if you don't find a suitable bride, you'll marry the woman of his choosing, it could appeal to his desire for control."

While Victor agrees with Owen, he isn't thrilled about relinquishing his future so readily to his father. He can only hope that everything goes according to plan with the mysterious maiden.

"I will discuss the matter with my father during dinner tonight. I expect you and Axel to be present, showing your full support despite any doubts you may have," Victor instructs.

Owen gave a stern nod at his prince's request. He may be a skeptic but he knew his chosen brothers future was not a light matter to be toyed with.

"Make sure that one of the others keep McCoy and Hendricks busy for this evening, I'm sure they would have many options on the topic and I do not wish to hear them or have them sway my father. If he does agree will send invitations into town tomorrow morning before he can change his mind so have Gabriel send the designs to the print master immediately."

"As you wish Victor, is that all I can help you with?" Owen looks at his brother concern evident on his face.

"Yes, thank you Owen." Victor says his eyes gleaming with gratitude as he sinks deeper into his chair, burdened by anxiety. He prays to every entity he knows, hoping that his plan will succeed, as the thought of being at his father's mercy leaves him trembling.

his eyes gleaming with gratitude as he sinks deeper into his chair, burdened by anxiety. He prays to every entity he knows, hoping that his plan will succeed, as the thought of being at his father's mercy leaves him trembling.