Chapter 1: whispers

"He ain't dead?" Kailyns eyes open up and she frowns as she hears the news from Enid.
"No" she says. "No rick didn't slice his whole throat" Enid and Kailyn sit in front of each other in a trailer at Hilltop. Kailyn has been staying there since the bridge collapsed and Rick apparently died. The way from Alexandria to Hilltop was way too long and dangerous. She was better of at hilltop anyway. The trailer she shares with Enid is small but just enough. These years she changed a lot. Changed in good ways.
"Thanks... I'll... I'll go help Tammy with the vegetables"

Enid nods and the girls split apart. Kailyn wondering off through Hilltop. Hilltop is evolving, the walkers are barely a problem... for now.

The day goes on. Until the gates abruptly open, it's Michonne. She and others get in, others meaning new people. Kailyn stops walking and looks at the small group. They look ok. They do.

——————————————————————————-

Walking trough the forest, Kailyn hums softly. The woods were nice. Why was she going through the woods? 'Cause of the fair. The fair would be in a few days and would be really important for the bond between the communities. Making the roads safe and, perhaps, making it possible to go to Alexandria again. That was her target. The journey would be long but that doesn't matter.

The backpack on her back makes soft rumbling sounds. The walk would be a day, but since she started walking at noon. It would take the night.
Nights were scary but she could get trough them.
She walks over the crisp leaves on the cold ground. The road would be visible in a mile or two. For now it would be just woods.

She wouldn't have thought this would be easy. But it never was. I wonder if Negan is really there....
Her mind wonders off. She stops and inhales the damp air. Looking up the big and tall trees, the wind makes them move. The world might have not been so dead after all. Kailyn looks around and walks to a dead tree, she grabs the twig poking out and snaps it in half. The thing is just big enough to work as a rod to walk with and maybe beat some walkers up. She giggles softly at her own and goes on with her journey.

The concrete feels nice, the flat surface pleases her. The shoes, a pair of outworn vans, were way nicer on there then grass and mud.
Her footsteps are steady and she makes progress in going until sundown hits.
The air is not that cold, it also isn't warm. The weather was just enough to keep Kailyn warm without a jacket. But she did pack one, just in case, Jesus said while she explained her plan.
He was hesitant at first. But he let her go after a while. Knowing it was important for that fair.

Evening hits.
It's about 7 pm, Kailyn starts to feel like eating. So When walking she grabs a knife and stops in her tracks. She rapidly turns around and slams her knife into arm of a walker. But instead of the just continuing groaning. The body whimpers.
Kailyn stumbles back and tightens the grip of the knife. The walker grabs his arm and looks at her dead in the eyes.
This isn't anything good.
Not at all.

Panic shoots into her body and she turns around, running away from the weird man. Who the fuck would ever do this. Step by step, her breathing gets heavier. She can hear someone or something follow her. She looks at her left and takes the turn into the woods.
"Don't let her escape..."
A herde. A big one. Wrong move.
The words shoot trough her head and the groups slowly closes in.
"She needs to die..."

Whispers....