12

Chapter Twelve| Ava

When I woke up this morning, I did not expect Kaden to hand me a set of keys.

To his house.

"Baby stop looking at me like that." Kaden frowns, eating the breakfast I made for him.

"We'll talk about this when you come and pick Lily up later." I tell him and look over at Lily.

She's been really quiet this morning.

"Sweetie, you okay?" I crouch down in front of her and stroke her hair. I look at her plate and see she has barely touched any of her food.

"I okay." She mumbles, not making eye contact with me and I frown at her choice of words.

I look over at Kaden who looks at his daughter in worry.

"Princess, come here?" She gets up and walks over to him with her head down. Kaden lifts her up onto his lap. "What's wrong?"

She shakes her head and buries her face into his chest.

Kaden looks up at me with a panic look and he cuddles Lily closer to him.

"Lily, daddy's got to go to work." She looks up at him with sad eyes and then looks at me with sad eyes.

Something really isn't right.

"Princess, you're scaring daddy. Tell me what's wrong, please?" Kaden pleads with her but she shakes her head again.

"Lily, sweetie, do you want to do some baking today?" I ask her hoping it will cheer her up, she just shrugs her shoulders and plays with her dad's hair.

"I tired, Avey." She mumbles and reaches out for me.

I walk over to them and pick her up.

"Are you not feeling well?" I ask, adjusting her on my hip and pressing the back of my hand against her forehead.

"I just tired." She whines and her eyes begin to water.

"I'm gonna stay at home with you today." Kaden says suddenly and I shake my head.

"No, no. Don't worry Kaden, she will be fine." I try to reassure him but he doesn't look convinced.

"Please call me if anything happens." He gets up and walks over to us, kissing us both on the forehead.

"I will." I whisper when I see Lily has fallen asleep.

***

"You never bake." Charlie says beside me, making me roll my eyes.

"Lily's not herself, so I thought I'd make her a cake." I glance at him quickly before mixing the batter.

It's been a few hours since Kaden left to go to work and I've been checking on Lily about every fifteen minutes. She got up about an hour ago because she needed to go to the toilet but then she went back to bed.

My poor girl.

"How was your date with Harley?" I smirk at him and laugh when his cheeks turn red.

"I actually really like her." He grins.

"Hmmm, you hear that?" I raise my eyebrows at him and he frowns. "That's me not getting involved and voicing my opinions on who you choose to like. Something you should do."

"Okay, Ava. I'm sorry." He says, being genuine. "But it's not going to stop me from being overprotective of you." He winks and helps me finish the cake.

An hour later I go and check on Lily. I walk into my bedroom and see her sleeping in the middle of my bed, however my heart starts to race at how pale she has become and a sweat has formed on her face.

"Lily, sweetie?" I rush over to her and gently shake her awake.

She doesn't respond.

"Charlie!" I cry out.

He rushes into the room. "What is it?" He breathes out.

"We need to take Lily to the hospital." I panic and lift her up, I rush and get her coat and shoes along with my own.

"It will be okay, Ava." Charlie says, trying to stay calm as he drives us to the hospital, I am sat in the back with Lily.

"It's my fault, I'm such an idiot. I should have checked on her more." I whimper, worried that something bad will happen to Lily. "I should of looked after better." I cuddle Lily closer to me and kiss her forehead.

"When we get to the hospital I will call Kaden for you, okay. Lily is going to be fine, you've taken care of her, you are such a great mother figure to that little girl. Kaden is so lucky to have you." Charlie tells me.

***

I'm sat on a chair, next to Lily's bed. She hasn't woken up yet, the doctor has taken a blood test and given her an IV. "I'm sorry, sweetie." I wipe my tears away and grab hold of her little hand.

"Lily!" I jump when Kaden barges through the door and rushes over to Lily. "What fucking happened?!" He yells at me and I flinch stepping back.

I feel Charlie stand close behind me. "Don't yell at her!" Charlie growls out, defending me.

"Why is my daughter in the fucking hospital?!" I whimper, knowing it's my fault.

"I'm sorry, I thought she was okay. It's my fault she is here, I really am sorry Kaden......

"No, it's not your fault, Ava." Charlie's says, stepping in front of me. "She's been checking on her all day, Ava has done nothing wrong, so don't shout at her again." Charlie threatens an angry Kaden. "I'll meet you in the car." He turns around, kisses me on the forehead and leaves.

The doctor then walks in after Charlie has left. "Hello, you must be Lily's father." He greets, shaking Kaden's hand.

"Yes." He simply states. My eyes start to water for like the fifth time today.

"Your daughter is fine, we ran some tests and she seems to have a fever. I want you to make sure she gets a lot of rest and stays hydrated, she can be discharged as soon as she has woken up and we have checked on her." Kaden nods at the doctor who smiles at me before walking out of the room.

"I'm sorry." Kaden sighs and sits on the edge of the bed whilst looking at Lily. "I'm so fucking sorry. I shouldn't of spoken to you like that, you are an amazing woman and Lily and I are so lucky to have you, baby."

"I-I was so scared, I tried Kaden. I'm new to all this remember, I didn't know this was going to happen, I thought she was just tired." I tell him, tears falling down my face. "T-Then you come in here and start sh-shouting at me." Kaden gets up quickly and pulls me into a hug.

"I'm sorry baby, I've had such a bad day and then I find out my little girl is in the hospital. I didn't think about how you felt and I am really sorry." He kisses the top of my head and hugs me tighter. "Forgive me, baby, please." He whispers.

"I should go, Charlie is waiting for me in the car." I pull away from a wide eyed and worried Kaden. "Message me when you and Lily get home."

"Please stay." Kaden grabs my hands, stopping me from stepping back any further. "Lily needs you. I need you." I shake my head.

"You'll be fine, Kaden. I really need to go."

"Why? Why do you need to go?" He holds my face in between his large hands, making me look at him.

"I should of been better, if I had then Lily probably wouldn't be in here." What I say, makes him angry.

"Ava. Lily absolutely adores you and loves having you with her. So don't give me that crap, I don't want to hear you say shit like that again!" Then he smashes his lips on mine. Seconds later he pulls away. "You're mine. You are my woman and I can't apologise enough for shouting at you just then. Now message Charlie and tell him you're staying here." He removes his hands from my face.

I quickly message Charlie and look up at Kaden. "Daddy? Avey?" Out heads both spin to see Lily awake and smiling at both of us.

💛