Chapter 29

Antonio's POV – 2 hours earlier

After checking out the crime scene and getting everything we need, we start heading back to the district.

We get a call on the radio about a shooting in progress and to my horror I recognize my registration plate.

"Drive, drive!" I tell Jay and he speeds to where the shooting is taking place. I radio it in and soon every Intelligence and CPD officer are on their way to the shooting.

When I get there Erin's helping Nadia after she was pistol whipped and Hank grabs a screaming Camilla.

"Antonio, there's no sign of Luke!" Adam tells me

Hank assures me that Camilla is fine and Jay and I, along with Kevin and Adam and Alvin speeds off in different cars to find Luke. He's found by Kim a few blocks away, we get there and I manage to shoot the shooter. I sprint to my son and my heart stops beating when I see him.

He's unconscious; barely breathing and covered in blood.

"Shooter's dead" Kim says, "Found a 9 mil on him, I'll run it through ballistics but this is our murder weapon"

"He probably came back to deal with his mess and found us. Shot the car out farthest from the scene."

"To distract us"

I zone them out as I scream my child's name

I hear sirens and the ambo comes to a halt, Gabby and Shay hops out and Gabby falls to her knees when she sees the victim

I help Shay get Luke on the gurney and Jay grabs my body, he hugs me tightly while I cry

"He'll be fine, he'll be fine"

**

Kate's POV

It's been two hours, no sign of Rhodes. He took Luke up to surgery an hour ago. Erin's been with me the entire time; I don't know nor do I really care where the hell Antonio is.

I grab Erin's hand in mine and she frowns. I start crying into her shoulder

"I can't lose my baby!"

"I know, I know"

"Where's Cam?" I ask, I didn't forget about her but I was reassured that she's safe.

"With Platt at her house, she's off duty today"

"I can't forgive him, I really can't Erin"

She stops stroking my shoulder; "He would never put his children in harms' way willingly Kate"

"I know that" I stress, "But point is he did put them in harms' way and my boy got shot"

Erin tears up, "Luke will be fine. He's a fighter"

"He's only nine years old; he shouldn't have to fight for his life"

"Kate!" Gabby; Alvin; Erin and I stand up and I brace myself for the news Rhodes are about to deliver.

"How is he?"

"The bullet caused some ruptures to his liver and pelvis; I managed to repair it in his surgery"

"But?"

Rhodes frowns deeply, "He lost a lot of blood and his body couldn't handle the stress of the surgery. In order to prevent losing him on my table, I had to keep him open in the OR, I'll go back in a couple of hours to repair his stomach, but for now, he's unstable in the OR and he's on bypass"