"Why did you come to Forks then?" Doc asked curiously. Someone should have told him curiosity only got you killed.

I brushed the hair from my face once again, "because my mother is a bitch who only thinks of herself," I growled, "she also kicked us out of her life."

The man nodded in understanding although I knew he didn't understand much. He didn't know what we went through or how we felt. Hell, sometimes I don't even know what Martha thinks and feels, she's so good at hiding it.

I have no idea how we're going to get out of here and make a better life for ourselves. We have no money, no jobs, no family. We have nothing.

And, suddenly, I realized. We have nothing, absolutely no one to fall on or to love us. We, mostly me, were a total waste of space.

"Hillary?" Doc called.

I look up and hum in response.

"Are you alright?"

I shake my head slowly, "I don't think so." It came out as a whisper but he seemed to hear it clear as day. He placed a hand over mine, it was cold but I didn't mind.

"All you need to do is just ask for help, Hillary."

"I-I just . . . I can't stop." I let out, frustrated with myself. Why can't I just be me again? Go back to who I used to be so I didn't let Martha and Ange down again like I seemed to be doing so much, and be someone for them to look up to.

"You have so many people on your side. You do know that, right?" Doc chuckled, trying to lighten the mood.

I gave him a small smile, "sometimes, but do I deserve it?"

"Of course you do, Hillary. You've been through hell, it's time for you to get your happy ending."

"Thanks, Doc."

Martha

I didn't know how to feel when Hillary came home, how to feel when we moved in with Charlie, how to feel when it seemed dad didn't care at all unless it was to do with him. Uncle had finally seen a small portion of what our parents had put us through and to say he was angry at his own brother was an understatement. Choosing to take full custody after the night our father showed up at the front door completely drunk.

"Charlie! Charlie get out here, you fucking bastard!"

Hillary and I were upstairs in our shared room, both wide awake and afraid of what I might do if I had another nightmare. Charlie had been asleep on the couch downstairs, the lights still on and the tv still replaying a basketball match from the day before when he was woken to his younger brother banging on the door.

"Where are my daughters, Charlie?!"

Charlie opened the door ripped open the door just as Hillary and I made it to the top of the stairs to see what was going on, both wrapped in a blanket due to the freezing temperature.

"John, why are you screaming on my doorstep in the middle of the night wreaking of alcohol?" The police chief spat out in a hushed yell.

John stumbled on his feet, raising his hand to point accusingly, "You just love to take everything from me, don't you, Charlie? My first girlfriend, our parents' love and attention, and now my own fucking daughters!" His voice raised with each word, "You can't do this to me, not my little girls."