Chapter Seven

Hillary's POV

I sat in bed once again, this week seemed to be never-ending just like every week. The sun shone through the window and onto the wooden floor, I watched as the dust danced in the light as if it was putting on a show for me. I smiled to myself as I looked through the window, it was calm and it was quiet.

What broke the peace though was the shouting in the other room, the high-pitched voice screeching at the deep, masculine one. I turned my head towards the door but didn't look up, I just listened to the arguing.

"I don't want them in my house!" The shrill voice yelled, clear as day so everyone could hear.

"This is my house and they are my daughters!" The deep voice replied, making his own point clear, "I can't just kick them out onto the street as their mother did." It was quieter now, he didn't want to yell at her anymore.

"We can send them away." Her tone was soft, I knew she felt like she was losing in this moment to my father and she didn't like it. "They won't be a bother if we just ship them off. They'll have each other, they'll be fine. And then we can go back to being alone with each other."

I could just see her placing her hands on him, trying to persuade the man so she could get her way. I lowered my head when there was a moment of silence, was he really thinking of doing that? Of course, he would, he's just like her.

"I don't want to talk about this anymore." The sound of footsteps walking towards our room made me bring the blankets closer to my body but I soon relaxed when they went past. He knew it wasn't right, we hadn't done anything so bad that we should be sent away and he possibly knew that.

•••

The feeling of being watched was strong when I walked into the cafeteria. I frowned and looked around the large room, wanting to find the source.

The feeling of someone bumping into my shoulder knocked me out of my search though. I glared at the person who looked back at me with wide eyes. The cafeteria became quieter as people began to watch the encounter. Martha was getting food and had no idea what was going on right now.

"I'm really sorry." The girl said, her voice shaking. This was like meeting Alice Cullen all over again and I wasn't in the mood. This girl seemed like the quiet type, her black hair was pulled back into a long ponytail and her brown, almost black, eyes were hidden behind pink framed glasses. Books were clutched to her chest tightly as she looked to the ground nervously.

"It's fine," I told her gruffly and it seemed to surprise her as she looked up with a shocked expression, she must have heard the rumours about me that were shared around the school. We stood there for a minute until she snapped out of it, nodding and scurrying away.

I surveyed the room as people had stopped to listen, my stare turned into a glare and soon they all went back to their normal conversations. I followed Martha as she was finally finished with getting her food and we sat down.

•••

Skipping PE was easy and common for me, yet finding a Cullen alone sitting outside was not and it made me confused. Moving closer I saw the curly blonde hair, he was in fact a Hale but they were all the same to me. A book hid his face as he read and I raised my eyebrow, who skips class to read?