Chapter Fifteen

Hillary

Hillary

Living with Charlie had been the best thing that had ever happened to Martha and me. I could quite possibly go as far as to say I was recovering but it was slow.

Charlie had been bugging us about meeting one of his best friends that would be visiting this Saturday for some sports game on tv and his name was Billy Black. Apparently, he had also invited the man's son to come around, Jacob, who was a few years younger than us. We didn't mind, we saw how excited Charlie was (though he tried to hide it) to introduce us to his friend, which was all that mattered.

It was Thursday and people were still staring at me. It was clear that what happened to me had spread throughout the school and the town. I didn't exactly care but it still irritated me beyond belief, it was a wonder one of the kids had yet to get a black eye from Martha or me, it was a wonder neither of us had been suspended for something.

"You look better today," Edward spoke in that calm, monotone tone of his. We sat in class barely paying attention but that was normal, it wasn't like the Cullen boy seemed to participate anyway.

I hummed, "I feel better." I smiled.

"Do you?" He sounded suspicious, concerned, about my answer. I tried to push past it, however.

"Yeah, I feel...almost carefree."

Edward nodded, his own smile growing, "That's good, Hillary, you deserve it." And I could hear the sincerity in his voice, it only made me smile more, she just wasn't sure it was completely real.

Lunch was like any other. I met up with Martha and Angela and sat down at their table, an apple with one bite taken out of it and a half-empty water bottle sitting in front of me.

"I'm seriously considering leaving for college," Angie told us nonchalantly as she picked at her salad.

A loud cough from the other side of the room was heard over the mindless chatter of the teenagers around us and we all frowned, turning to find Emmett Cullen as the culprit.

We quickly ignored it and turned back to Angie.

"Where?" I questioned.

She shrugged, "Maybe Standford. I hear they have a good psychology program."

 Martha let out a short chuckle, "Yeah, you'd kick ass at that, Angie," She tousled the girl's hair, "You've already got us figured out."

I nodded, "You'd do great. Just gotta keep those grades up, and we'll come to visit too."

Angie smiled almost timidly, "You guys make it sound like I've already been accepted," She mumbled and we laughed.

"Well, yeah. You're already the smartest person we know, you're a shoo-in." Martha was all too excited to hear Angie was going to make it somehow, someway, in life and I couldn't blame her.