Part 7

INT. HOSPITAL - NINA'S ROOM - DAY

James sits by Nina's side once more. He looks sunken and thin. He confesses his fears to Nina.

JAMES:  I'm scared, Nina... (beat) I don't know what's happening to me. I don't know how to help you. Tell me how.

James' head lowers, as does his voice.

JAMES:  (gravely) I think I've seen something... or... someone. She's haunting me. I think she is trying to stop me from reaching you. (chuckles crazily) I know it sounds crazy... (beat) Maybe I am crazy.

James sobs.

JAMES:  I know you can hear me. Please say something... (beat) Talk to me... (beat) CAN YOU HEAR ME DAMN IT!!

INT. SHRINK'S OFFICE - LATER

James sits on Dr. Nekawa's red leather sofa. He stares off into space with a defeated look and speaks in a monotone voice.

DR. NEKAWA:  So you had the dream again?

JAMES:  Yes. And I tried to do what you said. I tried to control my dream.

DR. NEKAWA:  Was Nina there?

JAMES:  Yes.

DR. NEKAWA:  And you tried to move towards her?

JAMES:  (snaps) Yes, damn it! I just said that!

DR. NEKAWA:  Calm down, James.

James takes a second to compose himself.

JAMES:  Yes, doc. I tried to move, alright. Something is trying to stop me.

DR. NEKAWA:  What is trying to stop you?

JAMES:  I don't know, doc!!

DR. NEKAWA:  Alright. Just relax, James. You can tell me.

James is silent for a moment.

DR. NEKAWA (CONT'D):  Don't worry James. You will reach her. But you must want to. Only you can fix your situation.

JAMES:  It's just a damn dream, doc. What does it matter anyway?

DR. NEKAWA:  I can't tell you that, James. Only you can figure that out. I can only tell you my opinion.

Silence for a moment. James wipes his eyes and sighs.

DR. NEKAWA (CONT'D):  James, with your permission, I would like to discuss your case with a friend of mine, an old colleague that I went to school with. He has been using an experimental new drug with some of his patients.

JAMES:  Drug?

DR. NEKAWA:  Yes. I think it might help you with your situation.

JAMES:  What exactly is my situation?

DR. NEKAWA:  You're stuck, James.

James numbly listens. Nekawa's words sound distant.

DR. NEKAWA (CONT'D):  You feel as though you need to move forward but you do not know how. You feel as though your world is slipping through your fingers and you do not know why. I think this drug will help you. Help you to... focus. Help you to see.

James says nothing.

DR. NEKAWA (CONT'D):  Just allow me to discuss your case with my friend at least, yes?

JAMES:  (long beat) Fine.

James closes his eyes.