Part 2

INT. HOSPITAL - MORNING

James lies in a coma in a dimly lit room. Silence, except for the heart monitor and respirator. The heart monitor starts to beep faster. James begins to sweat and breathe heavily.

INSERT: QUICK FLASH OF THE LIGHTNING STRIKE.

BACK TO SCENE

James opens his eyes and gasps. He looks around then begins to panic.

JAMES:  Hello?... (beat) Is anyone there?... (beat) SOMEBODY HELP ME!!

INT. HOSPITAL EXAM ROOM - LATER

Bright white-on-white room. James sits in a wheelchair. He stares at the floor. Dr. Slate sits opposite to James asking questions.

DR. SLATE (O.S.):  Mr. Durant, my name is Dr. Slate. I have been caring for you and your wife for the past two weeks. (beat) You've been in a coma due to the shock you received from the accident.

James stares and says nothing.

DR. SLATE (O.S.):  Mr. Durant, can you recall what happened?

James still says nothing.

DR. SLATE (O.S.):  Mr. Durant, can you hear—

JAMES:  How long have I been here?

James looks up for the first time to see the doctor. DR. SLATE(53) is balding and quite large in stature.

DR. SLATE:  Two weeks, as I said before.

JAMES:  Where is here?

DR. SLATE:  My apologies. You are at Mountain Falls hospital in Crystal Springs, Washington.

James looks down again, he searches his mind.

JAMES:  What day is it?

DR. SLATE:  Today is Saturday, June fifteenth, two thousand and twelve.

JAMES:  How did I get here?

DR. SLATE:  You and your wife were flown in by helicopter. Your neighbors saw what happened and called nine-one-one.

James looks up, a look of concern on his face.

JAMES:  Is Nina alright?

DR. SLATE; She's stable. She is still in a coma, but we are hopeful that she will wake up any time now, just as you did.

James tears up.

JAMES:  And the baby?

DR. SLATE:  The baby is fine. We had to do an emergency C-section the night you and your wife were flown in. (beat) I've never had to announce this kind of news under such circumstances before, but, you are now the father of a nine pound, four ounce baby girl. (beat) Congratulations.

James' lip quivers as he fights back some tears.

JAMES:  And she's okay?

DR. SLATE:  Yes. A healthy baby girl.

James smiles and the tears come flowing.

JAMES:  Can I see her?

Dr. Slate smiles and nods.

INT. HOSPITAL - NURSERY VIEWING WINDOW - MOMENTS LATER

James admires his new BABY GIRL(2 weeks), a full head of dirty blonde hair, through the viewing window of the nursery.

Dr. Slate approaches and rests a hand on James' shoulder.

DR. SLATE:  She's quite beautiful.

JAMES:  Yeah, she is.