Chapter 2

As promised, Silica set off early the next morning. Under Levi's orders, Petra was sent to accompany her on her meeting with Kathryn; of which was an order Silica had no complaints over.

Together the two Survey Corps women rode off to Mitras, and arrived at Kathryn's manner house within the hour. The sun shyly peeked through thin sheens of cloud, and a soft breeze tickled her cheeks as Silica maneuvered the gate open. Petra followed close behind, and the duo hastened toward the front door.

Whilst exchanging a look with Petra, Silica knocked her knuckles three times against the door. Within a matter of minutes, Silica's ears perked to the sound of quick paced footsteps coming from inside, and the door opened quickly.

Kitty stood before them, looking far less elegant than she had when Silica had first met her. Her long, curly hair was strewn up into a mop on top of her head. Loose strands fell from beside her cheeks and atop her forehead, and the cyan dress she wore was wrinkled and bunched at the bottom. She looked as if she hadn't changed or bathed in days.

"Kitty." Silica said, taken aback by the sound of her own surprise.

"Oh dear," she muttered to herself, and hastily her hands began to tug at her dress in a futile attempt to bring the wrinkles out. "If I were expecting guests I would have changed first. Please, forgive me."

Silica, again, shot Petra a look; to which the shorter woman returned with a risen brow of her own.

"It appears that you're going through a lot," Silica continued, shaking her head and taking Kitty's wrists; halting her hands. "But we need your help."

"Miss, please," Kitty looked down. "I've told your commanding officers everything I know. There's nothing else I can give —"

"I'm going to stop you right there," she cut her off sternly. Kathryn jumped. "We have a lead on Patrick's whereabouts, but to get in without starting a headache, we'll need your help."

Kitty's concerned expression morphed into one of confusion. Her wide eyes traveled from Silica's face, down to Petra's, and back again before she slowly drew her wrists away from Silica's grip to hold her hands to her chest.

"You mean the masquerade tonight?" She put the pieces together and Silica nodded.

"I know the Survey Corps has been asking a lot of you," she said, crossing her arms. "But this is the only way we'll be able to catch him by surprise."

Kitty was quiet for a moment. "This... this will take some time. It's no offense to you, of course... but.."

Kathryn trailed off and glanced to the side, her teeth repetitively tugging at her lip as she thought. A look of anxiety glazed in her eyes as she locked her gaze once more with Silica's, and once she did she sighed.

"If it will get you the justice you deserve... I suppose it wouldn't be asking too much to sneak you in."

"Good," Silica nodded gratefully and turned to Petra. "Send word to my squad. The plan is a go."

"Yes, Captain." Petra saluted just before she dashed off of Kitty's porch. Silica turned back to the taller woman in front of her just as she stepped to the side to allow her in, and remained silent as Kitty led her up the stairs.

"Now," she continued, clearing her throat as she plucked a small bell off of her dresser as they entered a large master bedroom. Silica watched as she rang it. "What we'll need to do first is fit a dress to your figure... and find you a mask."

Silica crossed her arms over her chest and watched as a pair of maids entered the room upon hearing Kitty's bell. The two gave Silica a sideways glance as they met Kathryn by her closet, however they neglected to say a word as she proceeded to yank different dresses off of her hangers and into the maids' arms.