Chapter 27

An: a little bit of a spicy warning for this chapter <3 enjoy you freaks
~~

Three months had passed since Silica's sit-down with Kenny, and no matter how hard she tried, she couldn't seem to shake the looming feeling of loneliness that followed her home that night.

She had no reason to feel such a thing, given that she was surrounded by people she loved — and who loved her — on a daily basis, and found herself frustrated that Kenny's adamance in keeping things how they were affected her so much. After all, she went into it expecting that very outcome.

However, she just couldn't seem to understand why she was so unwanted by her parents.

These thoughts flooded her mind day in and day out, and she tried her best to keep busy with Amelia's training camp preparations. It had grown easier to stomach the more real it became, and Ama's optimism helped to ease Silica's anxiety. Some moments were harder than others for Silica, but Ama's aptitude to be a solider was evident.

Amelia was smart, physically capable, and a natural when it finally came to train with the ODM gear. She had an eagerness to learn any and everything she could in regards to the Titans, and soaked up everything like a sponge. She had even gone as far as to take medical lessons from Brutus whenever she found the opportunity. Silica grew more and more proud of her with every passing day, and the sight of her baby growing up before her eyes was bittersweet.

"It's important to remember that Titans emit a scorching steam," Silica was saying as she and Amelia sat in the Scouts archive. Amelia was leant forward in concentration as her mother pointed to the diagram of a Titan in the open book before them. "So try to avoid it when you kill one."

Amelia nodded quickly as she wrote it down in her notebook. "Right. Got it."

Silica smiled softly as she watched her, and finally settled with shutting the book they had been reading and handing it off to Ama.

"That's it for today, kiddo," Silica said whilst cleaning up their workspace. "You've been doing some good work."

"You think so?" Amelia's eyes glimmered hopefully. "Training camp is only three months away, I want to be as prepared as possible."

"You'll know way more than those kids starting out," Silica reassured without looking up. "You'll do just fine."

"The anticipation is eating me alive." Amelia dramatically threw her head back.

"Oh, I'm sure," she humored. "Have it eat you while you head home. It'll be dark soon."

"Your lack of care wounds me, Mother," Amelia continued in a fake sad tone, however she couldn't hide the teasing smile on her face. "How could you?"

"Quit being so dramatic," Silica laughed and shook her head. "Go home."

"Ugh, fine," Amelia finally caved and stood from her chair. "When'll you be back?"

"A little later," Silica replied as the two exited the archive. "I won't be long."

Amelia hugged her mother quickly before she could walk away, and Silica found herself tensing up at the sudden affection as Ama tightened her grip around her.

"You looked like you could use a hug." She explained without Silica having to say anything, and at her words, she immediately softened and returned her daughter's embrace.

"Thanks, kiddo," Silica pecked a quick kiss to Ama's cheek before they parted, and offered her a small smile. "I'll see you at home."

Amelia grinned one final time before finally scurrying down the hall, and Silica watched until she disappeared behind the corner.  She chewed thoughtfully on the inside of her lip as they went their separate ways, and went straight to Erwin's office like it was routine.