Chapter 80: Remember Us

Start from the beginning

"Why would I care what will happen to that bitch?" I snapped angrily, cutting him off.

"Fine. Then what would happen to your brothers? Armin? He's lost all his family and Ms. Falida. What will happen if he loses you too? Eren? He just learnt that he lost his father to Kenny? What do you think he'll feel if he finds out he lost his sister too?"

I flinched, clearly taken off guard by Erwin's sudden bombardment of questions that truly disturbed my heart. "Think of everyone else, (Y/N). All the people you love.... and all the people who loves you."

No words could be forced out of my mouth- I had none. No retorts, no insults, no complains, no rebuttals, I had nothing. Erwin looked at me with somber eyes as he finally let go of my hand. "I know I can't force you to do something you don't want to. In the end, it is your choice, but I just want you to remember.... about us. We're still here (Y/N). We'll always be by your side."

Erwin flashed a melancholy smile as he rose and fixed his jacket on my shoulders, before proceeding to tightly wrap his arms around me as he brought me in to meet his warm embrace.

I felt my eyes slowly flutter close as I stood still in Erwin's hug, feeling the uncontrollable flames from before slowly being extinguished as each second passes by. His massive frame swallowed my smaller one, nearly covering me whole. He was like shield; big and strong, ready to defend anyone from the dangers of the world.

"Please don't.." Erwin shakily breathed out, clutching harder on the thick fabric of the coat.

His initial words had wavered me, but this time, I completely fell down. "...Alright. I won't do it. At least, for now," I murmured into his chest, blinking back the tears that unknowingly formed in my eyes.

I couldn't say no. How could I say no? Erwin is almost begging me to not do it. I have seen Erwin being stern, hurt, sad and even angry, but never before have I seen him so.... desperate. To see your leader, the person who was always calm and thoughtful, ready and prepared, confident and commanding crumble down before you is terrifying.

I lifted my arms to wrap around him, giving him a solid hug back. I swear upon my life, Kenny will die. But I must wait for the perfect time. I know what it feels like to lose someone you care for, someone you truly dear, someone you love. If I don't make it out alive, Eren and Armin will have to go through all that again. And this time, I won't be there to help comfort them. I can't let that happen, not after everything they've been through.

A tear escaped from my eye and I felt it slide down on my cold face. I lost my family I once had to Kenny and I swear I will kill him for what he's done. But I can't be selfish and just blindly rush forward, no, I can't do that.

I have to remember, I have this new family to protect too.

***

Understanding that I needed time to myself, Erwin and I separated as we made our way back to the cabin. The walk back was cold and lonely, but it was what I needed. The only company I had was the fierce howling of the vicious wind that nearly threw me off my feet multiple times.

Out of the corner of my eye, familiar planes of snow glittered underneath the sun's rays. I thought back to that special moment that had happened recently, but felt so long ago. Basked in the warm light of the setting sun while sitting on the soft floor of cool white snow did we finally give in to our long imprisoned emotions.

I never imagined someone so rude, so mean, so annoying and so cold could have such soft and warm lips. Levi held me with such gentleness no one had ever done in my life, or at least that I remember of. His eyes weren't cold as they usually were, instead, they were beaming with emotions I rarely saw in them.