Chapter Forty-three

Start from the beginning

Only now if he lost his title as heir, his line would end with him. Sure he'd inherit the Dark carnage pack through Nia, but his blood son would have nothing to inherit. If he even had one. Was it terrible to want to have a pack to pass on to his blood and flesh child?

"I know, but there's nothing we can do to help and the challenge is two days away."

"We could start by believing she knows what she's doing." Emo girl tentatively suggested then shrank back when his gaze went to her.

Lex fought down his annoyance, both at her cringing and the implied criticism. "What would give you the idea she knows what she's doing?" He questioned in an even tone, working hard to keep out any condescension.

It seemed to help the maybe not so emo girl. "Well she sounds really confident, like someone with a solid plan. Maybe healers are allowed to fight in some cases and the students from her old school said she had blown the fighting records sky high."

"What?" Lex questioned and looking at his beta, gamma and delta they were as shocked.

"Yeah," nerd girl agreed. Lex knew he really should stop calling them by these nicknames and know their names but now he was too stressed to even retain them. "I looked her up on their stats and man, she's mindblowing. The probability that someone could break even one of her record is near absolute, in the zero department."

Lex turned to walk the few steps to his desk. Getting his laptop he went back to the sitting room then brought up the knightsgale academy website. The school was an idea brought to life by the United Mythkind Association. People who believed humans would soon be a threat to the mythkind and advocated for learning to fight as a unit and thus counter racial weaknesses.

With only three graduating classes, including Nia's, the school was still in its infancy. But by all records it was proving to be a success. Its class records were free for public viewing and Lex could see the combat classes had the most traffic.

The school records ranked even their alumni classes against the current crop. In all of them, Nia held the highest combat grade. Her speed left even the vampires in the dust and her strength rivaled the giants. How had he not known about this?

"Wow." His delta Bas marvelled from where he, Kai and Aide were looking over his shoulder. "No wonder she's not allowed to fight."

"But this was before her healing abilities came in." Lex argued, pained at what his mate had lost. He hadn't realised she'd been a fighting prodigy before her healing had kicked in. Now she'd have to really on others to defend her. There was no way she'd have a way to fight Leo. If she had, wouldn't she have used it on Jake?

"She'll probably defeat all six of them on her own and we'll be window dressing." Angry teen said. "Personally I'll just be glad to be on the team that defeats Leo's gang." She turned to Lex. "No offense but your sister kinda sucks."

Lex raised his brows at that. Leo was ambitious but she hadn't been that bad. Or maybe he hadn't paid that much attention to his sister's interactions with the pack. Maybe his own view of how the pack saw him was not as he thought.

"Yeah, she's not as bad as some blooded female weres but she's an elitist. If you're not a warrior blood or of the higher bloodlines then you're not worth knowing." Emo girl explained.

Lex frowned at that and he recalled Leo telling Nia that she was beneath her. How had he missed his sister's attitude. He turned to his core group. "Did you know Leo was like that?" Both Kai and Bas shook their heads but Aide hesitated. "Aide?" He asked the beta.

"I didn't fit into her expectations of a beta female so yeah." She shrugged but Lex saw how much Leo's exclusion had hurt. And if he was honest, Lex had been closer to his delta and gamma than his beta.