Malik bursts out laughing, and I join him this time.

"Oh, Professor! What a humor! No, I wasn't banished." Malik looks amused, relaxed even.

"Really?" I utter.

"Well, in a way I was, because they wanted me to stay away for a while since I've been nothing but a disgrace to the family." He doesn't look bothered saying this. "Using my rehabilitation as an excuse, I decided to spare them the headache. Trust me, it was the best thing that could ever happen to me, because I felt free."

I can imagine.

Malik continues telling me about his arrival to Houston, Texas, where he stayed for a year in the rehabilitation clinic, before moving to Edinburgh, UK, for his studies, and later to London, where he met Liam.

He talks of their endeavors together, and that they didn't like one another at first. Wow! They were like cat and mouse, according to Malik himself, and I muse at the image it brings. Damn, I can't even imagine.

We use a rental car to drive back to the ranch, since Cyrus left earlier with the copper. I had so much fun, and my mood is so lifted in comparison to how gloomy I was this morning. When we arrive home, I'm deadly exhausted; my head on Malik's shoulder, which startles me like hell.

"Sorry, I don't always fall asleep recklessly," I utter apologetically while pulling my head away.

How clumsy!

"I'm not complaining, Professor, am I?" Malik reassures tenderly with a friendly smile. I blush from embarrassment. "Did you have fun, though?" His worries replace his playfulness.

"Yes, so much fun," I reply while stretching my tired body, a tired yawn coming along. "Thank you." I smile at him.

"It was nothing. I think I also needed to recharge after all." He opens his side door and I laugh gently as I make my exit.

It's around eight in the evening as we enter the house. It's good to be back, and all I can think of is the shower and bed. However, heavens seem to have other plans for me. The first person we encounter once we walk in is none other than Liam Darcy.

Just great!

He looks so mad that even Malik seems wary. What's his problem now? Has he been waiting for us? Because that's exactly how it seems.

"Relax, Brother." Malik grins, neglectful of Liam's demeanor. "I promised to return her early, and here we are."

"You promised?" I snap, suddenly enraged at their grand arrangement.

Malik's face drops remorsefully. "Professor, the thing is—"

"You call this early? You weren't even picking your call." Liam eyes his shiny watch and I can't help but wonder about this sudden attitude of his.

"Well, with a good company who cares about the phone, Bro? I probably left it on silent mode," Malik replies, and I'm in awe at his unweaving composure.

"Excuse me, gentlemen. I don't know what kind of arrangement you two had, but if I may, let me remind you that I'm not a child. I can take care of myself, and I definitely don't need a curfew like a little teenager," I snap pointedly at Liam. He glowers at me and I couldn't care less. "Besides, I was in very safe hands, so I don't see where this fuss is coming from." I turn to Malik for reference.

"Of course, Professor," Malik agrees, and I swear I could laugh at the face he pulls.

In all honesty, it's true. I had a great time and a very pleasant day for a change. Coming back here, I expected nothing less, as long as Liam wouldn't have showed up.