Chapter 5

Mom knocked on the door to Michael's office and walked in with me trailing behind her. She nodded her head in greeting and gestured for me to sit down in the chair before him.

"Hello, Alex," Michael said, smiling, and I offered him a hesitant smile. "How are you?" He dipped his head and studied me with warm brown eyes.

I ducked my head and shrugged my shoulders. "Confused," I replied, honestly. I sat down in my seat and cleared my throat, licking my lips.

I was nervous. I had no idea what would happen and prayed that he would have answers, or at least know what was going on with me. However, I didn't know how to ask.

You there? I asked hesitantly and received a chuckle as a response.

I can't go anywhere, Alexandria, Ruckur said. But, yes, I am here.

Ok... just checking.

Ruckur chuckled again but remained silent.

Michael raised an eyebrow and cocked his head. "Oh?" he asked, and I nodded. "About what?"

I licked my lips and cleared my throat. I had no idea how I was supposed to tell him that I was the next Director and had his brother in my head.

"Well?" Michael asked. He didn't push me like I thought he would, and I was grateful for that. He had a feeling that this was tough on me, and it was his duty to make sure that I was safe and happy.

Mom placed her hand in mine and squeezed it reassuringly. She smiled and nodded her head when I looked at her, my eyes wide and filled with fear.

It will be alright, Alex, Ruckur said, gently. Just tell him what you told your mother and then what happened today.

Mentally, I nodded my head. I cleared my throat and shifted in my seat. "Ummmm." I paused and licked my lips. "I am a Director, too," I said.

Michael leaned back in his seat and held out his hand. "Show me," he said, and I obliged and placed my arm in his hand.

The mark, a Φ, stood out on my skin, darker than the pale skin I had received from my mother.

Michael traced the mark with his finger and nodded. "You are to start training, then," he said, satisfied that it wouldn't be removed. "I guess you are the next Director after your mother. However, this is strange. There hadn't been a Director from the same bloodline before."

"That is not all," Mom said. She gestured for me to tell him what I had told her, and my throat closed.

My heart started to pound out in fear, and I had no idea how to tell him that his brother and Cairth were back. My hands started to shake, and I took my hand from Michael and was grateful that he allowed me to.

"Well?" Michael asked softly. He offered me an encouraging smile, but it didn't calm my nerves; my heart still pounded in my chest like a runaway train, and the urge to run was strong.

"Ummmm... Ruckur is back," I said, finally. I watched him lean back in his seat and waited for me to say something else. I grimaced and pointed to my head. "He's in my head and has been in there for a couple of years now..."

"Is Carith back?" Michael asked. He looked at my mom, and she nodded her head. He sighed and moved a hand across his face. He looked tired and worn out, and I had a feeling he knew that this wasn't good news. "Who is he with?"

"Chase," I breathed out, not knowing if he wanted me to answer or not. I cleared my throat and licked my lips when he turned his gaze to me. "He's with Chase."

Michael nodded his head slowly. "Ok," he said. He cleared his throat. "How?" He looked at my mother.

Mom shrugged and grimaced. "I don't know," she replied. She looked at me and raised an eyebrow. "Does he know?"

Do you know? I asked, even though I had a feeling that he was able to hear and see what was around me.

Ruckur chuckled. You know that I can hear what is going on, right? he teased, and I mentally rolled my eyes at him, earning another chuckle. He grew serious, and I frowned. Tell them that I do not know the reason, he said. Tell them that I wish I did, but I don't. I have a few theories, but I will not tell them until I am sure.

"He says that he doesn't know the reason," I said, repeating what he had told me. "He says that he wished did, but he doesn't. He also said that he has a few theories, but he will not tell them until he is sure."

Michael snorted. "Same old Ruckur," he said, leaning back in his seat. He cleared his throat and placed his arms on the table before he leaned forward, not taking his gaze off of me. "Is there anything else?" he asked, raising an eyebrow.

I looked down and licked my lips before I cleared my throat. "Ummmm, I heard him," I said, finally. "I-I don't know how I heard him, but I did." My throat closed, and my heart started to pound in my chest.

Fear dug its grip into my throat, and it became harder for me to breathe. Panic set in, and my whole body started to shake uncontrollably while I remembered the feeling of helplessness that I had encountered with my brother while he was on the ice.

"Hey, shhhhhh," Mom said, soothingly. She wrapped her arms around me and pulled me into a much needed hug. "It's ok," she whispered. "Everything will be alright. You are safe, and so is your brother." She didn't know if that was true or not, but she was trying to make sure that I would feel ok.

I didn't reply while I dug my face into the crook between her shoulder and her neck and closed my eyes.

Tears pricked the corners of my eyes and started to while I started to sob. My heart kept its race against my chest with a fast thump, thump, thump, while my mom tried to soothe me.

After a while, the sobs started to slow down, leaving me feeling worn out and tired. Still, I clutched my mother close to me, not knowing if I would have another crying fit like that or not.

"I'm scared," I whispered, my voice cracking. "I'm really scared, Mom."

Mom squeezed me reassuringly and rubbed my back. "I know," she said finally. "So am I. So am I."