Chapter 12

Fire burst from my palm and towards the sky, chasing the darkness that presided over us. Magic filled the space around us, and I could feel this hope that this room was lacking, and I had a feeling that was why Ruckur didn't want my mother or Michale to enter because they could have gotten themselves or me hurt.

The creature screamed in pain, and the runes that covered their body dissipated as if they were never there. The creature, a scaly looking thing that was supposed to look human, turned back into a human and died again with a soft "thank you" on their lips.

My whole body was tense, and I was breathing hard while I looked at the body that had been a creature. What was that? I asked, keeping my hand in the sky where my ball of fire was stationed.

That was a creature that I never wished to see again, Ruckur replied with a relieved sigh. It is a creature of very dark magic.

I pressed my lips into a thin line, and worry for my brother filled my body. I knew that he was the reason that this creature was here and knew that it was because of Carith and whatever control he had over him.

Could it be too late to save him..? My heart ached when I thought that, and I prayed that it wasn't.

I needed my twin. I needed the person that I shared the womb with, the same male that had almost similar yet different features to me.

It's not too late, Ruckur soothed, but that didn't stop the worry from taking over. He sighed and grew serious. But you do need to find a way to release him from his control soon.

I know, I said solemnly and pressed my lips into a thinner line. I looked around the room before I slowly lowered my hand, the ball of fire circling above my head. What's next?

Go and check the body, Ruckur said. As I said before, there should be a mark on their body.

I slowly nodded and started to walk towards the body, my whole body tense. My heart pounded hard in my throat, and I silently prayed that nothing would happen to me.

Release the shield, Ruckur said. You don't need it.

I mentally nodded and took a deep breath before I cleared my throat. What should I say? I asked because some of these spells were new to me, especially since my mother only taught us the basics.

It was custom that we started learning the harder stuff later, even though I had no idea why since she and I were both Directors of the same group.

Recier Eirden, Ruckur said, and I could tell that he was disgruntled about my lack of knowledge but was not dissatisfied with me. When you see your mother, tell her that it is time to amp up training. You are going to need it.

I mentally nodded and took a deep breath, calming my nerves. I swiped my hand in a cutting motion and said, "Recier Eirden," cutting the shield away.

There was a small pop! as the shield dissipated, and thankfully, the feeling of loss and hopelessness didn't return, which I was grateful for.

I released a breath that I didn't know I was holding and relaxed a little, grateful that it didn't return.

Slowly, I walked over to the body and knelt down beside it, making sure to keep about an inch between us.

I didn't want it to jump at me...

Ruckur chuckled when he heard that thought, amused. It won't jump at you, he said. The spell has been removed. It is dead.

You can't be too sure... I said but moved closer to the body. The spell could have changed from the time you had seen this to not.

Ruckur chuckled again sadly. I am sure that it hasn't, Alex, he said softly. He paused and sighed solemnly. However, it is better to be safe than sorry, for times have changed.

I subtly nodded and glanced over the body. What exactly am I looking for? I asked. And where would it be located?

It should be located on the base of their neck, Ruckur said, where the shoulder meets the neck.

I took a deep breath and nodded while I studied the body, a female barely in her teens.

My heart ached for her and her family, and I sent a silent prayer that she would rest in peace for the rest of her life.

I licked my lips and reached out to touch her, her skin cold against my fingers.

Slowly, I moved her head to the side and pushed back some hair to reveal a strange marking that I knew shouldn't belong on her skin.

Black lines criss crossed a point of her skin, carving out an eccentric design that took about half of the base where her shoulder meets her neck.

It contrasted from her pale skin, a black taint of dark magic that had her become the creature that took all hope from me before I could break the spell.

Hmmmm, Ruckur said solemnly. I don't like the look of that.

I bit back a breathless chuckle and pressed my lips into a thin line. I don't like the look of that either, I said.

I cocked my head and studied the mark, noticing two small holes in it as if someone bit into her neck before they did the spell.

That is new, Ruckur said, seeing what I saw. Worry filled our shared body, and I pressed my lips into a thinner line because I didn't like that feeling.

What does it mean? I asked.

Ruckur sighed sadly, and if he had a head, he'd be shaking it. I don't know, he said solemnly. I wish I did, but I don't.

Then... what are we going to do? I asked.

I don't know, he replied. Give me one moment and let me think it over, but for right now, I don't just know.