Skeletons in the Closet

Start from the beginning

"So you're in?"

I thought for a beat. Vandel watched me through his dark eyes.

Finally I nodded. "Okay."

"Alright..." he yawned. "Alright, good. We'll discuss things further tomorrow. I have something for you but I can give that to you in the morning." He flipped over onto his side, pulling the blankets up back over his shoulders.

I stared at him, confused. "You have something...for me?"

"Yeah, that's what I said dumbass."

"But why-"

"I said we'll talk about it tomorrow."

"Okay." That felt like the end of the conversation. I knew I should leave but my body felt so tired and heavy and the bed was so soft that it was taking all my will power to actually get up.

"Hey Ridley," Vandel suddenly said softly. He turned over on his side to look at me, his eyes half closed.

"Yeah?"

"What's being a human like?"

I thought for a moment, surprised at how hard the question actually was to answer.

"I don't know...I suppose not too different from being a demon."

"We've been at war with humans for so long that you've become nothing but the enemy to us. We don't even think of you as individuals, just a bunch of monsters out to kill us."

"I think humans feel the same way about demons." I averted my gaze from Vandel's. "I used to feel that way. I never really thought of demons as actual people until..."

Until I met you.

I didn't finish my sentence. My eyelids felt heavy and despite myself I closed them. I would just rest for a minute, then I would get up and find my own room. With that final thought I drifted into the first good night's sleep I had, had in months,

---------

I woke up besides Vandel with a start, forgetting for a moment where I was. He shifted slightly beside me before finally opening his eyes slowly.

"Good morning," he murmured.

"G-Good morning," I stammered back.

A slight smirk tugged at the corner of Vandel's mouth. "What?" He said, teasingly. "Never woken up in bed with a man before?" I felt my cheeks turn bright red and I quickly turned on my side, hiding my face against the pillow so he couldn't see. Vandel just snickered. Despite my annoyance with his behavior I felt a slight wave of relief. He was acting like his usual self today. That was a good sign.

Vandel let out a small yawn, stretching his arms over his head.

"We should probably get going," he mumbled. "We don't want to miss our chance to get out of here a second time."

"I would agree," a voice suddenly said from the doorway. Vandel and I both looked up with a start. Standing there was the Ancient. Her gaze brushed over the two of us and she smirked slightly. "My, you two look cozy. You know there's multiple bedrooms right-"

"IT'S NOT WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE!" I blurted, my face turning even redder. I quickly buried my face in my hands, even more embarrassed.

The Ancient shrugged. "Listen, I could care less about whatever did or didn't happen between you two last night. Now, get up so I can get you out of here." She placed her hand on the wall and just like before it seemed to melt away. This created a hole that led directly into the room we had originally taken the test in.