Capable Job

My head is killing me, pounding hard and making the back of my eyes ache. There's a sharp pain in my side and I can't currently feel my right leg. Hot liquid running down my forehead is seeping into my eyes, and I blink rapidly to try to see past it, groaning. The first thing I see makes me wonder if I'm dreaming.

Lisa is standing over a cuffed body, the man pleading in some other language, his arms extended. One of his hands doesn't look right, as if all the fingers are broken, and there's something white sticking out from his wrist. Lisa lifts her foot, growling something in the man's language, and strikes him in the face with no remorse. He falls back from the blow, burbling incoherently.

"Lisa?" I manage. My voice doesn't sound right.

Her body language changing into something meek, Lisa speeds over to me and kneels down. There's a red line running down her temple but otherwise she seems okay. "Jennie?" she breathes, tears forming in her eyes. The sight has me believing this is all real. "I'm here. I'm so sorry. I'm here."

My gaze turns to the man in the dirt, the prisoner. I didn't recognize him without that black bag on his head. Though I should have known with the cuffs and all. "Alive," I grind out, the pain in my side getting worse. My leg has started feeling things, too, and none of them good.

"You're alive," Lisa whispers. She leans down closer to me and wipes my forehead with her thumb.

"Him," I say, moving my chin at the prisoner. "Alive."

Lisa's face twists into rage as she says, "Yes, he's alive. But he won't be for long." Her eyes are so tired, so angry. Destruction is all I see in her.

"No." I shake my head, and groan. Nausea and dizziness have decided to show up to the party. "He stays alive."

Lisa growls and grinds her teeth. "He hurt you."

He did, I remember that now. His cuff chain cutting into my neck and causing me to drive off the road. Where is the car, anyway? How did I get onto the floor? I was buckled into my seat, that's where I should be right now.

"My phone," I say, just wanting to get all of this dealt with. I need a hospital and the prisoner needs to be in a cell. "Call... call..." Who to call? 911? No, this needs to be handled quietly. I need a Facility car. "Call Sandara."

Lisa gives me a last look over before digging into my pockets and finding nothing. She spins her head around this way and that, then bolts away from me. She's limping slightly, favoring her left leg, and she's holding onto her side. Did she get hurt worse than I originally thought? If so, she has injuries exactly where I do. Strange...

Soft beeping gently wakes me and I groan, my throat aching. When did I even fall asleep? The last thing I remember...

"Lisa!" I cry. I was in the dirt, hurting, and Lisa was threatening to kill the prisoner we were supposed to be transferring to the Facility. She was on a damned war path.

"Yes?" Lisa says, at my side in an instant. "Are you okay? Should I get the doctor?"

"Doctor?" I look around and find that I'm not in the dirt anymore. I recognize the style of the room immediately, having been here before. I'm in the recovery ward at the Facility. With that little problem solved, I relax into the mountain of pillows behind me and sigh heavily. My ribs still hurt and my leg, which I could barely feel before, is now in a cast. There's a bandage on my forehead, too, which would explain the liquid I remember that was leaking into my eyes.

Then I study Lisa, and am a little jealous that she came out of the accident relatively unscathed. There isn't even a bandage on her face. I know I remember seeing blood on her. Was it hers?