Green Doesn't Mean Go

The General listened intently as Seungri and I both gave our sides of the story about yesterday's events, opinions on the subject, and what should be done about her. Predictably, Seungri tried to spin the incident to put me in a bad light, but I had raw footage of the events, audio included.

Now that Seungri has shut his mouth, I can prove what really happened. I play the footage over the large screen in the conference room, usually used for mission handouts and the like, and I point with my finger and the remote, leaning my butt on the edge of the long oak table in the middle of the room.

"See?" I say, almost excitedly. The footage pauses as the subject begins to crouch low to the ground, her face aimed where Seungri is standing. "She doesn't react until Seungri starts to speak." I let the video play on, showing that the more aggressive Seungri gets, the more aggressive the subject gets. "We need to figure out why."

"She's an animal," Seungri puts in bitterly. His face is red, from both anger and embarrassment, I think.

He was never a fan of being showed as a fool.

"She's not an animal," I snap back. "Not... exactly. I don't think..." Sighing and expelling my frustration with Seungri, I refocus on the General. "She has been completely and utterly compliant until now. Something about Seungri's voice puts her on attack. If we ever want her for us and out in the field, we should know why. We can prevent incidents like this in the future."

The General leans back in his chair and taps the table top with a finger. He narrows his eyes at the screen on the wall and watches as the subject rams herself against her chamber to try to reach Seungri.

"She hasn't seen another person since arriving?" he asks, eyes on the screen.

"She's been in complete isolation," I confirm. "Aside from hearing our voices."

"And she... trusts you?"

I stop the footage and place the remote gently on the table. "I believe so."

The General finally looks at me. "You're a Watcher," he tells me. "You're untrained for contact."

Ignoring Seungri's aggravating smirk, I say, "I'm aware. But I've already built a rapport with the subject. We know with complete certainty that she doesn't react violently to me."

"Are you willing to place your life on that statement?" The General gives me a look, almost sympathetic. "She hasn't seen another face for a long period of time. Who's to say she won't attack you the first chance she gets? Who's to say she isn't playing with you? Who's to say she isn't waiting for you to enter that room so she can take you hostage?"

"I... I can't say." My Watcher status has not prepared me for anything of this kind. I very well could be walking toward my own death day. Yet... I want to do it. "Give me a chance to try, General. If this works then we'll have a method of keeping the subject with us willingly. This could lead to something greater. But we have to make the initial attempt first. Please-"

"I want a strength grade," the General interrupts. "Reflexes, agility, stamina- all of it. I want to know what she's capable of," he says, looking pointedly at me, "before we send you in."

A smile cracks my lips and I hold back an exclamation of joy.

"Put her in the arena and test her," he says. "Give me the results and then we'll see what we can do about a face to face. Deal?"

Seungri can grumble all he wants, I'm going to be doing something important. "Absolutely," I say cheerily.

-------------------------

Today, or night, or noon, or whatever, I don't wake up in my room. A part of me expected this sooner or later, especially after my vicious stunt back in my room. But, to be fair, it was unavoidable. I was bound to get the blood lust eventually. It was better that I had a single focus rather than total destruction.