Chapter one

Iris's POV:

No! No! I shouted as he continued to beat me.
"Shut up  you stupid bitch!!" He shouted as he slapped me across the face really hard.
*knock* *knock* someone knocked on the door very loudly "it's the police open up" my father continued his brutal work without another thought.

The police started to bust the door down and grabbed my father by his arms. "You'll pay once I get out of prison!" He shouted as he was taken away by the police.

I laid there shaking and crying while covering my face protecting it if something or someone would hit me. "It's okay. It's okay. You're safe now." The man said as he proceeds to try and pick me up. "No! No! No more please!!!!" I sob while holding up my hands to defend myself.

He calms me down and takes me to his car and I fall asleep.

————————————————————————
I wake up with sweat covering my forehead and I look around my room. God I hate nightmares because of my sorry excuse of a father. Once I stretched and cleared my thoughts, I go downstairs to see my parents. (I'm adopted btw)

"Hi honey. How did you sleep?" She asked smiling while cooking her delicious food. My mom has light brown eyes and dark wavy brown hair that is in a pony tail today. My dad who is currently sitting down at the table has deep blue eyes with dirty blonde hair. My parents are an average height. " Good for the most part, had another nightmare again."

They know about what happened with my dad and me. So, ever since they decided to adopt me that day that I got saved I've learned that I could trust them and they would welcome me with open arms. "Oh I'm sorry honey, but to make you feel better I'm making your favorite. Bacon." "I love you mom," I say and kiss her cheek as I make my way to the table. "Hey dad," I greet him with a kiss on the cheek and sit down in a chair at the table.

Once we were done eating, I got up and put my plate in the sink and went upstairs to get ready for my day. Today I decided I was going to where a T-shirt with flannel and ripped jeans matched with vans.

I hear my dad calling me from downstairs so I rushed downstairs to see what they need from me. "Honey, you need to sit down for this," my mom says with a nervous look on her face. I get confused and kind of concerned as to what she would tell me next.

"What is it mom and dad?" I say in a worried tone. "Well you know how dad Quit his last job but you don't know the reason why he did because we would save that talk for later?" My mom said staring at me intensely. " Yes what about it mom?" "Well the reason why I quit was because I got a promotion that requires me to move to New Jersey," dad says.

"That's great mom and dad! Why didn't you tell me this sooner? I mean i know y'all know I have friends and stuff here but I would've taken the news better than y'all would've expected!" I say looking at my parents shocked faces. "That's why we didn't want to tell you, but by the look on your face and your reaction we should've just spit it out sooner!" My dad says.

Before I had moved in with my parents now I had lived in Cali with my dad. I had friends there but not to many and I wasn't really attached to them so I was fine to move here to Texas. Still, I'm not really attached to my friends. So, I hope I can make that change when I move to New Jersey.

"When are we moving?" I ask as my parents are waiting for me to say more. "Next week," my dad says," ok," i say as I excuse myself and go upstairs to start getting packed for a new life in NJ.

————————————————————————
One week later:
Iris's POV:

Since I said goodbye already to the people I care about at school, I go home and start moving more of my stuff in the moving van.

"You ready to go and make new memories," my mom asks me from behind me. I sigh " I suppose, im going to just take one look around the house before we go on the road and go to the airport." And with that I look around at my old house and remember all the memories it holds.

"It's time to go iris." And with that i head into the car and take one more good look at my old house and we drove away from my childhood home.

I sigh and plug my headphones into my phone and play sweater weather on repeat. I look out the window and see all the places outside. I start to feel my eyes close and just let the sleep take over me.

I jolted awake once I realized we were at the airport. " come on honey we don't want to be late to our flight," my mom said as she grabbed her suitcase. "I'm coming, mom." I get out of the Uber and close the door. I walk to the trunk and get my luggage out of there.

Once we had gotten our luggage, we headed into the airport and looked for the place to get our luggage tagged. We did that and then went to security to get checked for any weapons we had. They made us take our shoes off and make us stand in the huge machine that scanned us.

After we were done with all that, we had finally looked for our gate and headed there to go wait for our flight. "Are you excited iris?" My parents ask me, "very much," I say as I try to contain my excitement.

The lady on the speaker announced that our flight was here and that we needed to board now. She checked our boarding passes and passports and let us through to take our seats on the plane. Now it's time to sit back and relax and get ready to make some new memories in my new life.