Minorities

Flora's POV

For the second time today, I debated my outfit of choice. It was skinny jeans and a short white crop top – something Sienna had laid out for me. Everyone seemed to be helping me with everything these two days. Someone would fetch me food, someone would make sure I had everything I needed, the day before Xena yelled at someone because the soup was too hot for me to drink immediately. I felt a little claustrophobic. I knew why they did what they did but they needed to dial it down a little.

I decided to throw on a longer sweatshirt. I was alone for now, Reece had convened an Alpha meeting to let everyone know what had gone down at the castle. It was the day he told them that I was a Nihl, if they hadn't already figured it out.

The outlook was promising, from what Grey told me. Everyone was in favor, and everyone wanted the Nihls back. This was their second chance to mend the bridges and they were going to take it.

I was technically still on bed-rest, but I'd had enough. I couldn't stay in our room for so long. I needed to get out and breathe a little, and not out on the balcony, out into the open. Deciding to do just that, I opened the doors to our grand suite and stepped out. The faces of two surprised guards met mine and I shook my head as one of them was about to curtsy.

"Tell no one." I instructed and they looked hesitant. I decided to push it further, "That's a command." I told them and then they reluctantly nodded. I was about to walk away, but then stopped to put them at ease.

"Don't worry, I just need some air. I won't wander far." They looked visibly relieved.

Making my way to the side of the building, I managed to get out undetected, I knew my scent would still linger, but it was fairly windy outside, and it would give me a little while before someone figured out exactly where I was. I decided to venture a little more into the woods, to a nearby river I'd seen from my room. It should be beautiful.

I could hear the sound of the stream and just moved in that general direction. The ground was more or less flat and there was plenty of sunlight pouring in. It would have been a perfect day to go camping with my mom, and Xena.

"Need a breather?" Hank's voice startled me, and I barely avoided falling over a root. He immediately hovered closer. "Sorry, Flo. I didn't mean to startle you. I guess your werewolf senses haven't developed yet." He chuckled. I gave him a sheepish smile.

"Are you keeping an eye on me, or did you need a breather too?"

He gave me a lopsided smile. "I was taking a breather, but now I guess I'm doing both." He answered honestly and I nodded. Then he tilted his head in another direction and said, "There's a small deck over there which overlooks the stream. I'll walk you to it and then leave you be."

We walked in silence for the most part, both our minds were elsewhere. I knew he was thinking about his cousin. I knew it killed him to keep it aside and focus on the mission, and now that this whole scene was over, he was free to grieve, to gather himself, to understand what was going on.

"Where's Zia?" I asked him and a small smile lit his face. "She's gone back to finish some work at home." I raised an eyebrow and he chuckled. "Zia... she wasn't raised like us. She was raised a stray. She had no idea that she was a wolf and I freaked her out." His eyes had a twinkle as he thought back to the memory. I suppressed my reaction, willing for him to continue. "So, she's raised as a human. She tries to value the pack and honor our traditions, but some things are just suffocating for her. She needs breathers more than I do. Besides, she has a very successful business to run, I wouldn't want to be in the way of that."

I nodded, this was surprising but interesting.

We reached a small path that was more defined than usual. The trees broke apart to a small landing and a wooden deck that extended out over the river. It was perfect. Nothing breathtaking but just the right amount for someone to relax. I smiled at the site, wishing I'd gotten a speaker or earphones. I'd been so behind on my work, the director I had a meeting with on my first night at The Wolf had left me several messages. I'd get back to writing, it'd keep me grounded.