Detective Mind

Nate's POV

I saw her before she saw me. She was leaning on the pillows behind her, and her shiny, messy blonde hair lay spilled across the white cotton pillow casings. She wore a serious expression as she typed away furiously at her laptop. I didn't bother to knock, the door was wide open, if she needed privacy she would have kept it shut, right? She was wearing cute pajamas and a matching loose t-shirt and looking super adorable. Her forehead was scrunched up in concentration and I wanted to kiss it easy.

Whoa there, killer. I had to take it slow. She was already so wary of us. So protective of her best friend and in her head we were the uncertain guys. She was so wrong, we would lay our life down for the Queen, and our mates. She could ask me anything and I would give it.

I coughed discretely and she all but shot off the bed.Her laptop nearly bounced off to the floor before she had the reflexes to grab it. Mental note: she startled easy. Although in retrospect I climbed up the apartment stairs like a creeper, hoping to catch her in her natural environment. Hoping not to disturb her. Wow I sounded like a predator.

"You scared the shit out of me!" She yelled, looking at me with alarmed eyes.

I should have rang the doorbell like a normal person.

"I'm sorry, Ms. Marin." I tried, hoping to get her back to her adorable focused expression. She was clearly looking uncomfortable now. Looking around for something. Her cheeks were starting to get red.

But what? -Oh. The little minx wasn't wearing a bra. A slow smile made its way to my face. She was really adorable.

"Don't you know how to knock?" But boy, was she going to be fire. I couldn't wait.

"The door was wide open." I commented dryly, enjoying the red shade she had turned to. The woman thought I would apologize? For seeking something that was mine? No way. We didn't knock. We didn't ask for permission, we claimed. We took.

"Well next time, knock. And maybe ring the apartment bell. How did you get in here anyway?" She was now adjusting her pillows again to get comfortable, but she shut her laptop and put it to her right, on the bed. Just as she was done and she turned to look at me, I said, "Reece gave me access, to check on Flora." I spoke curtly, enjoying her fumbling around looking for something to cover herself up. Eventually she seemed to give up and settled for crossing her hands across her chest - a good decision in my opinion.

There was still a slight red tinge, but she managed to sort her priorities as she spoke to me again, "Oh! Did the blood work come back? She still hasn't woken up yet!" Now I had her undivided attention. She wasn't concerned about her modesty anymore. I gave her a head shake, "No, it should still take a few hours, but I needed to ask you some questions about our, uh Flora so that we make a proper diagnosis. Patient history and that sort of thing you know?" I was lying through my teeth but she seemed to believe me.

"Oh, okay. Right now? Are we - uh, I mean is Noori going to come too?" She asked, as she finally decided to stretch and reach for a jacket that was lying on the other corner of the king size bed she was on.

I gave her a small smile, "No, my sister has gone to get some sleep, she was really tired and the results don't come back till a while." And I wanted you all to myself, mate. Xena nodded, and then paused. Then she nodded again and got out of bed. I really wanted to know what she was thinking, but that would have to wait.

"Let's go downstairs then."

Aaah, so she was debating if we should be here in the bedroom or be in a more formal environment. My little mate, she was already driving me crazy. However, I was no monster and so I nodded politely, spinning on my heel and silently bounding down the stairs. I would let her feel in control if that's what she needed. But I would be damned if I didn't let her feel the connection. The spark. The indication that she was mine. I was hers.