41

Shawn

"Are you sure we should have this big of a group here when the condo is officially on the market?" Em asked me as she looked around the crowded room.

"It's only a pre-party so no one's going to get too wild or break anything," I assured her. "You and I will wake up early to clean. It's closed for viewing tomorrow anyway since it's a holiday."

It was New Year's Eve and I had reserved four tables with bottle service at EFS, a club just a few blocks from my condo. I'd considered having a huge party like I had in the past, but I was hosting an open house at the Mendes Mansion, Em's nickname for the new home, in February. I'd invited our closest friends tonight, all of whom were currently enjoying drinks and snacks. The plan was that we'd hit the club around 10:00 PM.

"I'm going to get a glass of wine. Can I get you something?" she asked.

"A Corona sounds good. I'll switch to the hard stuff later."

I walked over to Brian and Jordy who were sitting in the living room looking at her phone.

"Everything okay?" I asked.

"We're watching Mikayla on the nanny-cam. She's asleep in her crib," Brian explained.

"It's cool that you can leave her alone since you've got cameras watching her."

"You're such a comedian," Jordyn said as she swiped the screen to another room. "Brian's mom and dad are there. They seem to be watching an action movie, and I hope it's not too loud. Should we text them to say they should turn the TV down?"

Brian shook his head. "If they know we're spying, they'll freak out. You know how my dad is. He hates technology. She's sound asleep so we don't need to worry."

"Hold on...you guys worry too much? No way!"

"Sarcasm, huh? Where's Jax tonight? You don't worry about him?" Jordy asked.

"Miriam and her boyfriend are watching him and honestly, I'm more concerned for them. Jax can be a bit wild at night."

"And if he stays up too late they won't get to fool around like babysitting couples are known to do," Brian joked. "At least that's what Jordyn and I always did when we watched Jax."

"Thanks for that image, but as long as they stay out of our bed, it's cool," I said. Then I glanced at the phone which was still monitoring their place. "From the looks of it, your babysitters might be the ones getting it on."

They stared at the screen in horror as they saw what I was referring to. Mrs. Craigen was straddling her husband's lap as they kissed. They were fully clothed, but if they kept at it, that could change.

"Switch back to the baby!" Brian yelled as Jordy fumbled with her phone.

Em joined us and handed me my beer. "What are you guys looking at?"

"If Jordyn doesn't exit the screen, it might be porn," I said. "Have you heard from Miriam?"

Jordy rolled her eyes dramatically. "And you said you don't worry."

"She texted a few minutes ago to say Jax was slowly falling asleep on the couch while they were watching Cinderella."

That was good to hear. When we'd left her apartment, he'd been cranky about being excluded. I leaned over and gave my love a kiss.

"You look hot tonight."

She was wearing a black jumpsuit with lots of gold jewelry, including the bracelet I'd given her for Christmas. She had on a gold belt and ankle boots embellished with gold to complete the ensemble. Even her eye make-up had tiny metallic flecks which highlighted her beautiful features perfectly.