Nandini: I broke it! A couple of days after his death. I still remember each and everything from that day. Mo- Mrs. Kapoor was going to Rishikesh with his Ashes. She refused to take me along, hell she even refused to look at my face or let me see him for that one last time. Right before she could leave, I stole almost half of his ashes from the pot. Packing it in a lunch box of mine, I ran to this park after she left. As soon as I saw the swing, I got angry. Without Appa, there would be no one to push me, so I broke it. I dug the ground underneath it and burried my lunchbox with his ashes in there.

Manik's eyes broadened at her words in surprise as well as shock as he looked at the tree once and then turned towards her again. Nandini simply smiled at him as she continued.
Nandini: Soon she sent me off to boarding school, six years later when I returned during Rishab's birthday party. I kept on standing at the door waiting for everyone to leave and then requested her to get me here. She got angry and locked me up in the basement of the Kapoor Mansion, without light, without food, without water.

Nandini saw Manik's fist clench this time, making her hold his hand as she opened up his fist and entwined her fingers with his.
Nandini: 2 days later, the four year old Rishab opened up the door for me, looking at me in his cute innocent confused eyes. That was the moment we got attached to each other, I just kissed his cheek before running out of the house. I ran all the way to this tree and then sat under it smiling for hours. Afterall I was meeting my father after years. Since that day, I have taken every major decision of my life at this place. School, college, london, designing, career, job, shifting to India, everything..... I decided to get married to u sitting under that tree.

Manik chuckled at her words and tightened his hold on her hand as Nandini looked down at their entwined hands.
Nandini: I never told this to anyone. Not even Rishab. I never brought anyone here before. But I guess its finally time for u to meet Appa, I would have wanted his approval for u if he was alive.

Manik: Approval?? Isn't this too late to ask for his approval now?

Manik asked caressing her rings, while Nandini simply shook her head and stood up walking towards the tree with him. They reached closer to it as Nandini caressed the trunk slowly,
Nandini: Hi Appa.... How are u? I know I hvn't been around much, but things have been a mess lately and I haven't done much to sort that mess either. Anyways, Remember I told u about Manik. I finally got him here to meet u..... And it might take him a few visits before he too gets mad and starts talking to a tree like me, but just take in his silent greetings for today. He is amazing Appa, and I somehow know that u would have loved him....

Nandini looked at Manik to find him smiling at her as she turned back towards the tree and took a deep breath closing her eyes and opening them again.
Nandini: I m here today, to let u know that I miss u Appa..... I miss u a lot and also that I love u! But that's not it........ Today after more than 20 years, I m here to let u know that even though I m very very sorry for what happened that night, but i have reasized that it wasn't my fault that u didn't make it. It was an accident and I m finally ready to accept it and let myself off the guilt.

Manik head snapped towards nandini at her words as she turned towards him with tears in her eyes,
Nandini: I need ur help manik... I can't do this alone!

Before she knew Manik wrapped his arms around her, pulling her into his chest as her tears soaked his shirt. He pressed a kiss on the top of her head as he whispered to her,
Manik: I m there for u in any way u want me Nandini....

Nandini nodded at his words as she broke the hug and walked towards the back side of the tree. Manik looked at her with a confused expression on his face as she came back holding two shovels. She stopped right in front of him and forwarded one to him.
Nandini: I guess I would like to start by letting him go, setting my guilt free from that lunchbox.